Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,304   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hassy pulled a weird one on me today...

I got the Hassy out of hiding today - as it has been months since I used her. Loaded a rather finicky roll of expired Delta 400 in the A12 back (which needed encouragement to lay flat under the flange) and went out to shoot this giant dead tree I have been eyeballing across the street from my son's Catholic School.

Around shot 6 - after exposing, I went to cock the shutter and it stopped. Both nodes were red (for film and body). When I got home, I took the film back off and the shutter cocked! I wound the film back and put it back on. I am now on shot 10 with no other signs of fail.

What caused this?

Could it be from lack of use?
    Could it be from the film?
    OR - could it be from me switching the O to T and test firing before I loaded the film (I was playing with my cable release as I have no idea how to use it before I loaded the film in). I made sure it was back to O before using the camera, though.

Thanks for your help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    O/T could be the issue.

I doubt it was he film..... are you sure it was indeed under the tab?
    Thats all I can offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just ran a second (almost) roll through and it stuck at frame 5 ( I think). Pulled off the back and cocked shutter, advanced film back, and all is well.

Could my back need servicing!??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Just ran a second (almost) roll through and it stuck at frame 5 ( I think). Pulled off the back and cocked shutter, advanced film back, and all is well.

Could my back need servicing!??
    Sounds like it.
    I've seen pictures of the guts of an a12 back and there are a lot of gears in there

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know what model or vintage you have but several years ago I had a somewhat similar problem. I called Hasselblad and was lucky to speak with a technician who immediately knew what the problem was. I sent it in and it was repaired and has worked well since. As I recall he said it was a cam(?) and they had re-designed or were making them of a new material. You might give them a call or check with one of the repairmen often mentioned on the forum.

http://jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a 23 year old body - not sure of the back. I will look at the back and check the "teeth". Is it better to (cost wise and durability) to repair or buy a newer back?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It just seems odd to me that it happens at frame 5 all the time.
    Seems if the teeth mating were slipping it would be more random but I'm just guessing.

You can check the "feet" also...the little things on the body at the bottom.
    These need to be within spec to hold the back firmly to the body so nothing can slip.
    I know there is a jig that the 'blad repair guys use to make those perfect because the can bend sometimes.

As far as what would be cheaper...it's really a crapshoot unless you can get a good warranty but even then, the back could need servicing after a year anyway.

I have around 5-6 backs (all bought used unseen) of all types from the "peep hole" 12's up to a newer A12 and I've been lucky.
    No service to any of them but I don't run a lot of film like a commercial operation would've back in the glory days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ugh. Just sold two other backs with my 500c body, so this is my only back at the moment.

Sitting here dry firing and it seems to lock up at approximately the same frame each time. What's with that? Does the back circular gear cycle through at this rate? Does it make 2 cycles per roll? If so, that might explain it locking up at the halfway point.

I checked the gears but don't know what to look for. Hmmm..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe it is a problem with the counter itself - somewhere near the "5"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can pull the side cover off fairly easily, and look for anything like a broken gear tooth or piece of grit. About half way down this page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeharper/3872936498/ Joe Harper explains how to remove the side cover from an A12 (note: a non-A cover comes off in a different manner), starting with "The screws to remove the cover are underneath...". You must be careful not to gouge out the screw head slots, but other than that you won't hurt anything opening it up. However, sending it in for repair may be the more sensible way to go here. If it is something worn or broken, you probably won't be able to fix it yourself, at least not without a parts back. But if you see something obviously out of whack, you may decide to buy a different back. I don't know what KEH gets for an A12, but they do have a guarantee. Or you can probably get a good replacement off eBay, if you shop carefully. Keep in mind any back you get (or the one you have) will need replacement light seals sooner or later. If you have your back repaired, new seals no doubt will be included.

Len

Len

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin