Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,779   Online: 861

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya 645 lens sharpness/optimal apertures?

I have a 35mm 3.5, an 80mm 2.8, and a 150mm 2.8 A(pochromatic), all C versions.

They're all wonderful pieces of glass, especially the 150mm. What apertures should I be using them at for best sharpness?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    f/77

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    f/77
    I filled my lens with toilet paper and poked a needle through it, and now it works great! Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For a lot of lenses, f8-f11 seems to be the sweet spot.
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicthumbs View Post
    I filled my lens with toilet paper and poked a needle through it, and now it works great! Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am assuming that the OP is looking for something like those resolution tests one sees for 35mm lenses (in the past) and DSLR lenses currently - e.g. lpmm numbers for centre and corners at various apertures (and focal lengths for zooms).

I've never seen any comprehensive test for the Mamiya 645 system. They may be out there though. The one I remember seeing was for a particular lens, and it was in the context of comparing the lens when used on an adapter for a smaller frame digital camera, with lenses designed specifically for that camera.

In my experience, unless the photography is limited to flat subjects, the determination of what is needed in the way of depth of field is way more important than the relative differences in resolving power that various apertures may give.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can check the site below, not exactly what you need but may help.

http://www.captureintegration.com/tests/lens/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 150mm. It's a beautiful lens, very flexible and forgiving and, to be honest, it doesn't bother me to shoot it wide open. DOF is short, of course, so a tripod and not being in a hurry is best. If you want to hand hold it, sure, stop it down a couple of notches. With the 45mm (and certainly with your 30mm) it's as sharp as you'd want it at any stop. Increasingly I find myself being less concerned with sharpness and more with subject matter and composition.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin