Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,587   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

500C/M or 2000FC?

Hi guys,

I am offered a choice between a 500C/M with an Opton 4/50 and a 2000FC with HASSELBLAD 80MM F/2.8 T* F PLANAR, both with some extra stuff at roughly the same price, about 600 euro. Which of the two would be a better choice? I know of the 2000FC shortcomings, my only concern is that I have never seen an Opton lens and I have absolutely no idea how it performs.
    Recommendations? Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have never heard of it and cannot imagine it would top a T* Hasselblad lens.

Tough one, as I like a fully manual camera body.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was curious about the Opton as I'd never heard of it. Here is what I found:
    "The ownership of the name "(Carl) Zeiss) was disputed after the break up of the firm when the second world war ended and parts of it were moved to the "West" to become Carl Zeiss Oberkochen, and parts of it remained in what then became the GDR.
    The name "OPTON" is supposedly taken from *OP*tische Werke *O*berkoche*N*. Though i'm not sure that it really is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I found that much too, but I have no idea how they perform

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The lenses labeled "opton" were generally destined for export beyond the iron curtain. They should perform on par with "normal" Zeiss lenses. Some do even fetch higher prices among collectors nowadays, since they are somewhat rare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At least buy a 500C/M, much better than 500C, which are dark and lack the ability to change focusing screens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yes, I came to this conclusion myself, will be neither of these kits, I spotted in the classifieds section here a very nice kit, so I'll take it - 500cm it is. thank you all!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You might consider taking a couple of rolls of film with you to inspect the cameras and shoot with each, check the results and performance before making a final decision. Personally, I think the 500CM is the way to go. There are plenty of lenses available to add to your kit.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    well, testing is not much of an option, the camera being several thousand miles from where I am

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In that case it would be best if the seller has a reliable return policy. The buyer should always beware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin