Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,772   Online: 762

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

DIY diopters? Need a diopter for a Bronica ETRS...

Hey, everybody. I am currently borrowing a Bronica ETRS to try out from a friend who wants to sell it to me. The camera is your standard ETRS body/120 back/75mm/regular prism and everything is in great condition. However, the only problem is that the prism is missing the stock -1.5 diopter. Now, I have 20/20 vision and have been borrowing a diopter from my photo club's ETRS, but if I do decide to buy it (and I want to as I enjoyed using it so far) I will need that -1.5 diopter because I can't use it otherwise. It also seems that finding an official Bronica -1.5 diopter is pretty much a lost cause because they rarely pop up and when they do, they're expensive (as are all ETRS viewfinders, jeez!).

I found a post here from a while ago about crafting out your own diopters out of cheap glasses, but I stopped by three dollar stores today and could only find glasses with +ive "ratings". Now I am puzzled as to how I can obtain a -1.5 lens. Anyone have any tips or ideas? I've thought about asking a store that specializes in prescription eyeglasses, but I'm not sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keep an eye on KEH AS IS bin sales. You can find another prism real cheap to strip parts from, like the AE prism for $4? If it has the same size diopter, you're in business.

KEH AS IS...
    http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Odd...c=78868&r=WG&f

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH is not really an option if I were to buy something so cheap as the cheapest shipping option would be almost $50. I'll keep an eye out on ebay though, but I'm not really counting on it either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well of course you'll be ordering a lens or two, bringing the total up, maybe some other stuff you been putting off?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go see an optician, they have pre-ground lenses in various powers. It would have to be cut to size. Or do you know anyone who is mildly near sighted, -1.5 is around when people start getting glasses. Someones old pair may be just the ticket.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Well of course you'll be ordering a lens or two, bringing the total up, maybe some other stuff you been putting off?
    Thank god that I am perfectly satisfied with everything for my only system camera (Nikon) because GAS is way too dangerous. I would order a bunch of stuff to justify the shipping, but I already have more stuff than I need and I have to pay for my university tuition and all that other junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Go see an optician, they have pre-ground lenses in various powers. It would have to be cut to size. Or do you know anyone who is mildly near sighted, -1.5 is around when people start getting glasses. Someones old pair may be just the ticket.
    That's what I was thinking, yeah. How expensive do you think it would be to get a prescription lens? Also, has anyone out there already tried making their own diopters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I made a few from +1.5 dollar store reading glasses, they work well on the F3 and other cameras I have. I used a sanding drum to sand away at the plastic lens to shape it into a small circle. Masking tape protected the lens and was perfect for drawing the pattern on.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A -1.5 dioptre lens is nothing very special... many opticians would be able to provide a blank which cut be cut to size, although I'm sure they'll want paying for the job. But surely an optician must scrap lots of lenses? I'd talk nicely to your local optician.

Being a minus lens, it is of course concave rather than convex, the sort of thing used to correct short sight. Reading glasses do the opposite, they correct for long site (or at least the inability to focus close) so are of no use.

I've just searched for 'concave lens' on eBay and got lots of hits for all sorts of lenses... something may well suit your needs.
    Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check with Koh's Camera, too. They could have a used one. They have only charged me actual shipping for the small items I have bought from them-for instance, a padded envelope New York to California cost two dollars a couple of years ago.

www.kohscamera.com

You're going to have to start out with a diopter of some strength or other, so you will have the frame. As you know, the standard prism has a rectangular frame which is held in by a screw, not a round screw-in type like some other ETR-series prisms.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin