Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,076   Online: 1167

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei vs Mamiya screen brightness

I have a Mamiya C220 and now I'm thinking about a Rollei.

1) How do the screens compare? I don't have much trouble with my Mamiya but I'm wondering if the standard screen on the Rollei is any worse. I'm not sure if a later, more expensive, model interchangeable screens is something I want.

2) How do the lenses compare?
    Last edited by msbarnes; 11-16-2011 at 12:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have any experience with a Rollei but I have compared the 80 2.8 Planar on my Hasselblad to my 80 2.8 on my Mamiya C330. I can say that the difference in sharpness and contrast is marginal at best. I processed 2 rolls of T Max 100, one shot in the Hasselblad and one in the Mamiya. There ain't much of a difference. What was really surprising was how good the Mamiya (non blue dot) optics are. Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having had both, I can chime in. I first had a Mamiya C-33 with a blue-dot 80mm f2.8 and I now have a Rolleicord III with the Xenar 75mm f3.5. I also sometimes use a C-220 too. The screens on the Mamiyas are very bright, considerably brighter than my Rolleicord. Now, I don't find the dim screen to be a big problem, but a lot of people seem to. I also think that the screens in later Rolleis are brighter than in my earlier model. As for the lenses, they are all very good although I'm not someone who pays a lot of attention to that. If you're concerned about sharpness, I don't think you will be at all disappointed because all Rolleis have very sharp lenses (be it a Xenar/Tessar or Xenotar/Planar) as long as the Rollei is properly calibrated. I find that my old Mamiya had a bit of a "rigid" look compared to my Rollei which has a more "organic" look to it. That's the best way I can describe myself haha. To me, what made me switch was the fact that my Rollei is more than two or three times lighter and is much more portable and ergonomic. I do miss my C-33 all the time though, the bokeh on that thing was pretty darn good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've had both the C220 (the last version) and various Rolleiflexes and 'cords and I can say that the C220 had a very nice bright screen, while the original screens of the older Rolleis often are dim, unless you get something like a Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex T or something newer than those.

It is possible to change the screens of course, and in the last few Rolleis I have had, I've done that, shifting out the original for a cut-down Mamiya RB/RZ screen.

I think that the Mamiya C220/C330 with a 80/2.8 is a downright bargain, compared to the Hasselblad and especially the 2.8 Rolleis, at least around here. Prices and opinions may be different elsewhere.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can't speak for the Mamiya, however I do own and use a near mint 1955 Rolleiflex MX-EVS and the screen is extremely bright. Dim screens usually are the result of dirt and need cleaning or replacing. If purchasing a Rollei I would opt for either a f2.8 Zeiss Planar or a Schneider Xenotar lens if your interested in sharpness right to the edges, ie landscapes. Otherwise, the Tessar or Xenar lenses will fill the bill nicely. Rollei's tend to cost more due to the collector's market. However they are extremely well made and very durable cameras, easy to operate. I would look at places such as KEH as they usually have a good selection of Rollei's and accessories at reasonable prices. Just like any older camera you can end up paying more for repairs than a camera is worth if your not careful. I prefer to deal with a dealer myself as you usually get a 30 day return and better service. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Newer Rolleifleses have good screens and brighter screens arten't too expensive either. I've used both Mamiya C3 series cameras C3, C33 and C330 and now use a Rolleflex 3.5E with a Xenotar.

Lens wise the Sekor 80mm lenses are excellent optics on a par with the Xenotar's and Planar;s, all better than the Xenar ot Tessar

There's advantages to the Mamiya's in their interchangeable lenses but then the camera's are much bulkier and heavier. These days I prefer my Roleiflex (and Yaschicamat 124) because I tend to use them alongside my LF cameras. You need to decide whether you want a great camera like a Rolleiflex or a good systen like the Mamiya's.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MS,
    Keep the C-220, save some money and retain a more versatile (inter-changeable lenses) camera/kit.
    If you haven't tried it already, get hold of a "180mm Super" lens for your C-220.
    Next to the every-day, useful/quality focal length of the 80mm, the "180-Super" is a stellar lens.
    Maybe the best lens in the whole series of lenses for the Mamiya TLR's.
    Darn near (my opinion), world class!

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your replies! So it looks like the main benefit of getting a Rollei is in the ergonomics/size/weight. I have the 80mm f2.8 and the 135mm f4.5. I love the 80mm but I do find the camera a bit builky, but it is a steal compared to the Rolleiflex's. The prices on these lenses are pennies compared to the Rolleis and Hassy's so I'll keep this camera as a system and aquire some more lenses and maybe a Rolleiflex 3.5, Rolleicord, Yashicmat, Autocord, when I want something lighter and smaller.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The condition of either camera and how well it's been cared for will be way more important than comparing lens performance in these babies. Any of these dialed in right with a recent CLA will be a top performer. I do not have the Mamiyas though I've held them and I just feel they are too heavy and bulky for how I like my handling of such cameras and what I'd use them for. I love my 6-7 Rolleiflexes and Rolleicords and any of them, Tessar, Xenar, Planar, Xenotar, 2.8 or 3.5 are all top notch. As for screens all can be replaced by a new modern screen which is much brighter than stock one. If you like how your Mamiya feels and handles keep it, tune it up and get a new screen.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have owned Mamiya's TLRs since the early 70s (C3, C220), and still have a C330f. I also have a Rolleiflex with 2.8 lens and Rolleicord. The Rolleicord is a lighter camera than either the C330 or the Rolleiflex. The C330 and Rolleiflex viewing screens are similar, both of them are brighter than the Rolleicord.

Neither Rollei's can match the versatility of the Mamiya, that is being to focus closely without adding close up lenses, interchangeable lenses, etc. I also find the image quality about the same for the C330f and Rolleiflex. The C220 and C330 would have the same image quality because they have the same lens.

The Rolleicord does a good job, but the lens is smaller than my Rolleiflex. The Rolleicord also fells cheap when compared to the C220, and especially to the C330. I would keep the Mamiya unless you could find a really good Rolleiflex 2.8 for the money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin