Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,418   Online: 714

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Folder questions: setting shutter speed and folding up

1) Is it bad to set the shutter speed after cocking the shutter?
    2) Is it bad to fold the camera when the shutter is cocked?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    #1 Yes. You are likely to get a speed that is not what you finally intended. It also forces the old fragile gearing. I have read and follow the procedure of setting the speed, cocking, firing the shutter to make sure it is working at that speed, composing, focusing, cocking and firing.

#2 probably. The potential is to forget to reopen and fire the shutter. If you leave it too long (a month or two) the shutter will freeze and you will be paying $80-$120 for a cla (clean lube and adjust.) Painfully, I have done that with large format. It is a waste of time and money, but it makes the lens more valuable when you sell it if the cla is recent.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What John said. Also, occasionally take your cameras out and run them through their paces, even when not loaded. The oldies especially need to be exercised so they don't get arthritis of the shutter kind.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    The oldies especially need to be exercised so they don't get arthritis of the shutter kind.
    Rick,

Are you talking about the operators or the cameras?

71 year old John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes,and 60 year old me too.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    The oldies especially need to be exercised so they don't get arthritis of the shutter kind.
    I resemble that!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    puketronic,

Age and exercise related jokes aside, welcome to APUG. You will find much help here.

If you are new to folders you may also enjoy and benefit from the Rangefinder forum at rangefinderforum.com. They have a category specific to your interest with multiple threads answering these and other questions that you may not yet have encountered. That category is called 120 folders. Take a look at some of the threads and answers. You will meet more enthusiasts with questions and answers.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...splay.php?f=93

I ended up with a 1939 Welta Welture 6x9 with a Compur Rapid shutter and a 105mm f 4.5 Zeiss Tessar lens. Much fun/

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One thing with those older shutters is that between age and use, spring stretch is a very real problem. When I was done using my folders, I would put the shutter down to B or something low for storage, uncocked. That way, there was the least amount of stress on the assembly.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My folder is a 6x9 Kodak Special No. 1, with Optimo shutter. Will storing it in the bulb mode be easiest on the springs?

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got a folder and I'll be sure to take the extra precautions, but is it bad to change the shutter speed after cocking the shutter on non folding cameras as well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin