Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,886   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Hello Matus,

I've seen the camera from inside, because I had the opportunity to visit the factory in Braunschweig (two times, it's not far from my home town), see the production and talk to the people who build it.
    From what I've seen I say yes, you can expect the camera to serve for the next 50 years. Excellent build quality.

Best regards,
    Henning
    That would be an interesting tour. Did you take photos? Did they give any sort of talk and did they address the issue of the quality compared to the older Rolleis?
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    That would be an interesting tour. Did you take photos? Did they give any sort of talk and did they address the issue of the quality compared to the older Rolleis?
    Dennis
    Hello Dennis,

yes, it have been two very interesting tours, organised by German aphog.de.
    We talked a lot, especially with our "guide" who has been working for the company for decades and have experienced all the ups and downs of the company (this company has got in insolvency many times and every time "rise from the ashes like Phoenix ").
    We even had the possibility to talk to some workers which assembled the FX, FW and FT TLRs.
    Well, concerning quality: Probably even a bit better than the older models because of now more modern and precise machines (computer operated, they had the newest machinery there for some production steps). And more modern and precise quality control gear.
    Assembling ist still all hand made. As well as quality control.
    Very interesting was also the lens production, and the new Hy6 model (which is now again in production after the restart of the company as DHW Fototechnik).
    They are now producing the classic Rollei 35 again as well (but extremely pricey, this model is aimed at collectors, whereas the TLRs, the Hy6, 6008 and the famous slide projectors are aimed at photographers).

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    35mm
    dpurdy,

Thank you very much for answering my question in such perfect detail. I really do appreciate it.

I think I might go for the 2.8gx now, unless I can find a 2.8F xenotar for much cheaper.

I noticed that you mentioned you don't use the meter on your 2.8FX, do you meter exclusively using a handheld meter?

Again thanks a lot for your time and effort!

Kind regards,
    Charles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aeoc View Post
    dpurdy,

Thank you very much for answering my question in such perfect detail. I really do appreciate it.

I think I might go for the 2.8gx now, unless I can find a 2.8F xenotar for much cheaper.

I noticed that you mentioned you don't use the meter on your 2.8FX, do you meter exclusively using a handheld meter?

Again thanks a lot for your time and effort!

Kind regards,
    Charles
    Yes I have always used a spot meter. It is not a reflection on the quality of the FX/GX meter, it is just the way I was taught in photo school and I have always used a Pentax spot meter.
    As I understand it from the FX manual, the meter in the GX/FX is very center weighted. It reads a spot about the size of a US dime... a small coin. At that size you have to be careful about what your meter is reading. You almost have to think like you are using a spot meter.
    Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Hello Dennis,

yes, it have been two very interesting tours, organised by German aphog.de.
    We talked a lot, especially with our "guide" who has been working for the company for decades and have experienced all the ups and downs of the company (this company has got in insolvency many times and every time "rise from the ashes like Phoenix ").
    We even had the possibility to talk to some workers which assembled the FX, FW and FT TLRs.
    Well, concerning quality: Probably even a bit better than the older models because of now more modern and precise machines (computer operated, they had the newest machinery there for some production steps). And more modern and precise quality control gear.
    Assembling ist still all hand made. As well as quality control.
    Very interesting was also the lens production, and the new Hy6 model (which is now again in production after the restart of the company as DHW Fototechnik).
    They are now producing the classic Rollei 35 again as well (but extremely pricey, this model is aimed at collectors, whereas the TLRs, the Hy6, 6008 and the famous slide projectors are aimed at photographers).

Best regards,
    Henning
    Great to read this positive report. Some people are saying how cheaply the FX is being made and that it is full of plastic parts. That it isn't really a Rolleiflex anymore.
    The only cheapness I can attest to is the lens name plate around the Planar. It used to be screwed in and now it is glued in.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Great to read this positive report. Some people are saying how cheaply the FX is being made and that it is full of plastic parts. That it isn't really a Rolleiflex anymore.
    The only cheapness I can attest to is the lens name plate around the Planar. It used to be screwed in and now it is glued in.
    Dennis
    Hello Dennis,
    from what I've seen at the factory I have to disagree to those who say the FX may be cheaply made.
    If I had the money I would go for a new FX, without hesitation (my prefered photo shop / minilab here in my town has an FX in the showcase; I am tempted every time when I am there.....)
    A friend of mine is using one and he is extremely satiesfied.

And others with much better knowledge in camera construction then me also have confidence in the FX.
    For example Claus Prochnow, an engineer and designer who worked at Rollei for decades.
    After he had retired he wrote some excellent books about all Rollei products (and Voigtländer as well).
    This book series is called "Rollei Report", six books in total. Published at Lindemanns Verlag, Stuttgart, Germany.

In book/report 2 the Rolleiflex 3,5 and 2,8 models and the FX are described in detail. In report 4 the GX is described. He clearly points out where the differences between all these models are.
    And from his description I have no clues to doubt the quality of the GX or FX.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some very interesting information, thank you guys. I am also happy to hear that FX is made to high standards. Seems like it could be a good investment if one plans to use one for a long time.

Now, concerning the GX and FX models. What are, apart from the stiffer shutter release, the relevant differences? Can the stiffer shutter of the GX be mitigated by a technician?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Except for the strap hanger, the difference is only cosmetic. I think the answer to the shutter release is just getting used to it. Also if you use a cable release it is a moot point.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After all of Dennis' information, I'm not sure if I can add anything specific but here are some thoughts on my 3 day old (to me) FX. The feel in the hand is nearly indistinguishable from my 3.5F. Fit and finish are superb. Focus control is smoother on the FX and aperture adjusts by 1/2 stops rather than smooth transition. The opening back on the FX feels lighter and the knobs to secure the film spools are plastic and have no hold open detent on the FX, where the F has steel knobs with a hold open feature. I like the F setup better, but that's a small item. The meter is either spot on or 1/2 stop slower than both my Sekonic spot meter and Luna Pro reflected meter making casual shots easy. I haven't collected all the parts yet to test the TTL flash. The shutter is not quite as precise and has a longer throw on the FX, but after a roll or two I don't think this would be a problem for anyone. Build quality is outstanding on both cameras. The FX controls have, to me, a more modern and precise feel something like the difference between my Nikon F2A and FM2n. The two rolls of Tri X run so far look great, but I cannot make a lens comment on this small sample other than to say they are both excellent. You really cannot go wrong with either the classic or new Rolleiflex. If longevity is a major concern I'd recommend the newer camera as the build quality is just as good and the materials and manufacturing techniques are advanced by 30 years. Good luck with your choice.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I forgot about the film knob difference. From time to time I have seen old stock replacement knobs on ebay and they look like they could be put on in place of the new style. I agree with you that the ability to click the knob in the out position is better.
    Another thing I am interested to find out about the new FX is the tensioner with the bandaid on it where you put in a new roll of film. When I got my FX new that tensioner held a new roll of film very tightly so it took quite a pull to get the leader pulled out. Then the bandaid had a hole worn in it after about 10 rolls of film. I took the bandaid off my camera and it got a little better. Now I have run another 75 rolls of film through the FX and I see no negative affect from not having the band aid in there.
    Dennis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin