Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,834   Online: 916

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Yashicamat - is it worth getting it repaired

I have Yashicamat (not 124) with the Luxamar lens which I bought used nine or ten years ago. It worked well for a couple of years after I bought it, but got pushed to the back of the shelf after I bought a Rolleicord Va. When I recently took it out to test it, the shutter was jammed. Now I am thinking about sending it to Mark Hama for a CLA. Do you think it is worth it?
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats a decision only you can make. Are you going to use it regularly, or let it sit on the shelf again, or maybe sell it? You decide.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I wouldn't invest in a CLA for that model. With patient shopping, a later camera in good condition with the Yashinon lens would probably cost less than the CLA. Also, a kitchen table cleaning job may free up the shutter. You can search sites like this for posts by people with experience in such repairs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm afraid I disagree, and my opinion is that you should, at least, get some quotations for the CLA, and then decide if the cost is worth it for you or not.

I repaired a Yashica LM for a customer last week with the exact same problem (shutter jammed, in this case the self-timer had been activated while the flash was on the M position, thus jamming it). 50 Euro brought it back to life. I think you'll have a hard time getting another Mat with Yashinon for that price.

Images
    Thanks for the opinions. According to what I have read, Luxamar lens the early name they gave to the Yashinon. There are some who think that these early versions of the lens were made in Germany.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My first "real" camera was a 1957 yashicamat with lumaxar lenses. Yes they are pratically (if not completely) identical to the later yashinons (both are tessar designs). I would still have it if I hadn't inherited a 1951 rolleiflex from my grand father. The only advantage the rollei has over the yashica (besides better build quality), is the parralax correction mecanism in the finder, which I find is a huge plus, but I managed to get along with the yashica just fine for three years. Mine worked wonderful the time I had it (and I used it alot), and sometimes I wish that I hadn't parted with it.
    If you think you are going to use it a lot, I wouldn't hesitate to have it CLA'd, and Mark Hama is THE guy to go to for this model.
    Oh, and by the way the early yashicamats have by far the best build quality of the entire yashicamat line, much much better than the later overpriced 124g which feels like a cheap plastic toy compared to the early yashicamats.
    Kind Regards
    Mads
    Last edited by loman; 11-21-2011 at 09:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't where you from you might check out KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    In a word, yes. Particularly if you plan to shoot with it.

Others will say they are not worth the cost, just buy another. My opinion is that if you just buy another, you end up with another dirty, decrepit camera to use for a year or two. I would rather buy once, get it reconditioned, and have a dependable camera for years to come.

I just received a 124G and a 124 back from KEH repair. Both had a good CLA and minor repairs done. Quick turn-around, excellent work. $110 each. I've had cheaper CLAs done on other cameras and by other shops, but KEH has been dependable.

My usual TLR guy has retired. Garry's Camera Repair has done SLR work for me with excellent results and excellent price. Didn't check with him about TLRs. Might be worth a call.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1, If you want a usable reliable camera get it serviced
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A hundred dollar CLA on a Rollei is a far better investment than the same CLA on a Yashica.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin