Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,165   Online: 808
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    53

    RB67 127mm KL - new or used?

    There's an eBay seller, sanpoucamera, who is selling 'new in box' 127mm KL lenses for a price similar to what you can get for second-hand (or maybe a bit more than for used). Is it worth it getting it new in the box, or better to get an older, used one?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,181
    If it's too good to be true, it's generally too good to be true.

    I'd buy from a reputable seller so you can have some kind of return policy to fall back on. Flea-bay is an iffy proposition.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

  3. #3
    tomalophicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canberra, ACT.
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Posts
    1,562
    Images
    24
    They are extremely cheap. Check KEH's new prices to compare.
    I have bought a 180mm KL and a 150mm SF from this seller. He provided good service and extremely fast shipping.
    Often the second hand ones are overpriced.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    They are extremely cheap. Check KEH's new prices to compare.
    I have bought a 180mm KL and a 150mm SF from this seller. He provided good service and extremely fast shipping.
    Often the second hand ones are overpriced.
    How was the lenses you got? All brand new, no blemishes and things?

  5. #5
    tomalophicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canberra, ACT.
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Posts
    1,562
    Images
    24
    Definitely all brand new with factory boxes.
    No blemishes or anything.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA, Pac/NW
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    368
    Some buyers have had problems with New Old Stock-NOS items, from some sellers.
    Musty odor/mildew, and fungus issues were/are the predominate complaint. With NOS items,
    you never know the conditions that the items were stored under for the past (?)years(?)decades.

    I purchased a RZ lens from the Japanese seller "sanpoucamera" described above, and there were
    no issues at all. Fine lens, in new condition, and not a single issue with this RZ lens to this day.

    Then, about two months after I bought the lens, KEH had the same lens, same new
    condition, for about 20-25% less, with shipping (USA-USA), half the (JAP-USA) cost.

    Long story short; I have no reservations buying from sanpoucamera. None at all.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    5
    I bought a few new RB lenses from sanpoucamera, they were new in box in perfect condition. They were packed well and arrived in just a few days. I ordered 3 and they combined shipping. It actually worked out cheaper than KEH.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by five View Post
    I bought a few new RB lenses from sanpoucamera, they were new in box in perfect condition. They were packed well and arrived in just a few days. I ordered 3 and they combined shipping. It actually worked out cheaper than KEH.
    Did you order from their site or what? Because their eBay only lists one or two lenses but on their site they've got a few more. I am interested in getting a 50mm as well, so have been on the hunt for one not from KEH considering their internaitonal shipping costs an arm and a leg.

  9. #9
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    Some buyers have had problems with New Old Stock-NOS items, from some sellers.
    Musty odor/mildew, and fungus issues were/are the predominate complaint. With NOS items,
    you never know the conditions that the items were stored under for the past (?)years(?)decades.

    I purchased a RZ lens from the Japanese seller "sanpoucamera" described above, and there were
    no issues at all. Fine lens, in new condition, and not a single issue with this RZ lens to this day.

    Then, about two months after I bought the lens, KEH had the same lens, same new
    condition, for about 20-25% less, with shipping (USA-USA), half the (JAP-USA) cost.

    Long story short; I have no reservations buying from sanpoucamera. None at all.
    These NOS Mamiya lenses and accessories aren't going to last. Funny to watch chumps listing used schlock on eBay for hundreds of bucks more than KEH's NOS items.

    No clue about Japanese sellers but some of the HK crew has had problems. One of the more notorious was an eBay seller, "wkcrs," who sold from both California and HK. Aside from selling the odd fungus-y NOS Mamiya lens, he seemingly vanished in late '09 leaving dozens of buyers with no merch. Another seller("pkks56") in California using errily similar photos has been selling what I suspect is old wkcrs's stock--maybe him, maybe not.

    Sanpou sounds OK and is obviously closer for the OP. For anyone in N. America, KEH is the place for Mamiya now.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    53
    I heard about that Hong Kong guy, but I heard the name Sanpou Camera even before I was looking up lenses, back when I was still shooting digital and looking up good shops in Japan for gear for my trip there.
    I compared prices with KEH - even considering both charge roughly equal amounts of shipping, Sanpou comes out a little cheaper for a new in box lens with hood, whereas I pay more from KEH without the hood. If I was wanting to get a second lens or some other stuff, I would probably lean more towards KEH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin