Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,098   Online: 937

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience like others is that the Tessar's aren't as sharp as the Xenotar or Planar until well stopped down. I use a lot of Tessar (or Tessar type) lenses and that's the norm across all formats.

If you need critical sharpess other tahn well stopped down then a Tessar os not ideal, and the Planar is of older origin but until coating was prone to far more flare

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I am a newbie to analogue (or should I say a returnee!) My father has just given my son a Rolleiflex Tessar 1958 - he said there might be a film in it and I think there is but the number on the side reads zero, I opened it and there is light grey paper with holes and numbers covering where the film should go (I imagine)..I cannot wind the film through....all I want to do is remove the film and take it to someone for developng. Help please? Many thanks. My son is going to love reading your site.....but as he is doing his GCSE exams at the moment and needs to revise I am keeping quiet about you for the time being. He is doing A level photography next year using analogue so you will be a great resource.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    if you don't have any experience with a Rolleiflex or other 6x6 cameras, it would be the best to look for an instruction manual (for this you should find out the exact model by the serial No.). There you can see how to load and unload the camera and how to use it. Perhaps you know somebody who owns a Rollei and can explain it to you. Rolleis are not complicated to use but there are some things to know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by binks View Post
    I am a newbie to analogue (or should I say a returnee!) My father has just given my son a Rolleiflex Tessar 1958 - he said there might be a film in it and I think there is but the number on the side reads zero, I opened it and there is light grey paper with holes and numbers covering where the film should go (I imagine)..I cannot wind the film through....all I want to do is remove the film and take it to someone for developng. Help please?
    That grey paper is the paper backing to the film. While I would check an instruction manual, close the back and attempt to release the shutter (I'm not sure how, but it will be the only soft button on the camera), then wind the film. Don't worry, you've already exposed the film to light, so you're not wasting it. It was probably so old that it went bad anyway.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own both lenses, they are both excellent with a different and distinctive signature.
    Planar has slight resolution advantage especially on wide apertures and perhaps more important, smoother transitions to oof areas and smoother bokeh too.
    Tessar has more contrast and a more punchy rendition on the focus plan, that gives its signature especially in black and white images.
    While the best would be having both so you can understand what lens suits you the best, I suggest doing a search online for images made by those lenses to get an idea of their different characters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know how much Rolleicords are going for these days but you may also want to look at the Zeiss Ikoflex with a Tessar lens.

I have owned 2.8 and 3.5 Rolleis, both Planar and Xenotar. They are good lenses no doubt. These days I find something attractive about the Ikoflex I have. Nice and simple and light. The Opton Tessar is more than good enough.

You can talk about the qualities of the lenses ad nauseum but if you go out and take a good image no one will care what you used. That may not be a popular thing to say on a photo forum but it is the truth.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

I have both

And honestly, for some things, find the Tessar has a more pleasant look to it, than the Planar.

Rarely do I ever shoot anything wide open, or above f/5.6 for that matter. Mostly between f/8 and
    f/22.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundesphotograph View Post
    It'd be great to see something similar done that includes a Tessar. There are always those who prefer one to the other, claim they are the same, prefer one's bokeh over another etc. A real-world methodical Tessar vs. Planar (vs. Tessar-Tmodel version?) would give people a nice set of actual images to look at.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    It'd be great to see something similar done that includes a Tessar. There are always those who prefer one to the other, claim they are the same, prefer one's bokeh over another etc. A real-world methodical Tessar vs. Planar (vs. Tessar-Tmodel version?) would give people a nice set of actual images to look at.
    The Xenar is Schneider's version of the Tessar.It should be quite similar.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin