Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,484   Online: 868

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    It'd be great to see something similar done that includes a Tessar. There are always those who prefer one to the other, claim they are the same, prefer one's bokeh over another etc. A real-world methodical Tessar vs. Planar (vs. Tessar-Tmodel version?) would give people a nice set of actual images to look at.
    I've mentioned this elsewhere, but there is a story/legend that the Tessars used in the T Rolleis had a lanthanum element to improve corrections. I do know that that Tessar is a wonderfully nice lens, one of the sharpest lenses of any type I've ever used. I currently have a Standard, with an uncoated Tessar.
    Another point worth making is that it is essential to be sure your Rollei is properly aligned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both. I have never looked at a negative from one
    and wished I'd shot it with the other. I'm usually shooting
    around f/4 or f/5.6. But my eyes are bad so don't listen
    to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should have my Rolleiflex 3.5 back from Fleanor in three or four weeks, can't wait. I bought it at an estate auction and sent it straight off to Harry.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a Tessar Rolleiflex, or a Rolleicord with a Schneider Xenar (there are no Tessars in Rolleicord cameras!). I would advise against a Zeiss Triotar and I would certainly go for a coated variant.

If used wide open, a Planar is sharper in the corners but that's about all the difference. Actually, I would consider the differences between the cameras that use the different lenses more important than the lens. Alll in all, a well maintained MX-EVS (with a bright screen) may provide much more photographic fun than a worn out 2,8 F...

Regards,

Sven

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stormy_weather View Post
    (there are no Tessars in Rolleicord cameras!).
    Actually, at the end of the Rolleicord production, a set of a hundred or two was made for the British RAF that had Tessars installed. I think that they were for use by the RAF, not for sale to servicemen. But they pop up on the market every now and then. Well, anyway, if you do see a Rolleicord with a Tessar, don't immediately dismiss it as a fraud.

And if I get bored one day, I will put a 3.5 Xenotar or Planar in a Rolleicord body. Everything will fit and everything will work as the shutter and aperture mechanisms are tied to the shutter, not the lens elements. The viewing lens won't swap, but I bet it can be close enough. Then when I get bored using it, I'll put it up on Ebay and watch people have fits......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Actually, at the end of the Rolleicord production, a set of a hundred or two was made for the British RAF that had Tessars installed. I think that they were for use by the RAF, not for sale to servicemen. But they pop up on the market every now and then. Well, anyway, if you do see a Rolleicord with a Tessar, don't immediately dismiss it as a fraud.

And if I get bored one day, I will put a 3.5 Xenotar or Planar in a Rolleicord body. Everything will fit and everything will work as the shutter and aperture mechanisms are tied to the shutter, not the lens elements. The viewing lens won't swap, but I bet it can be close enough. Then when I get bored using it, I'll put it up on Ebay and watch people have fits......
    Thanks ... learn something every day...

What on earth could the RAF having planned to do with 200 Rolleicords (with Tessars!) in the late seventies...

Regards,

Sven

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I wouldn't mind seeing a link to that RAF/Rolleicord info. Are you sure you are not mixing that up with the story of the Rollei T which was re released for British military with a Xenar instead of the previous Tessar. I have looked everywhere I can with google and find no such mention of the Rolleicord being used by the RAF. There is history of famous photographer Don McCullin buying a Rolleicord while in the RAF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know where ther's a Rollei Standard with a trashed lens. If I ever find a 75mm non-WA Dagor, I'm going to buy the Standard and fit the Dagor to it, just to amuse myself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a link to that RAF/Rolleicord info. Are you sure you are not mixing that up with the story of the Rollei T which was re released for British military with a Xenar instead of the previous Tessar. I have looked everywhere I can with google and find no such mention of the Rolleicord being used by the RAF. There is history of famous photographer Don McCullin buying a Rolleicord while in the RAF.
    I think that you are right and that I confused the Rollei T/Xenar change for my mythical 'Cord/Tessar change. Thanks for the correction and for stopping more misinformation spreading around the internet! I can't go back and edit or delete my post. Anyone know if I can contact a moderator and get it deleted?

Unless someone knows otherwise, to be clear, my post concerning Rolleicords made with Tessar lenses for the RAF is not true. Sorry for the falsehood, all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dan- you can just click the little triangle in the lower-left of the post and report it to the Moderators. They'll be happy to work with you to either delete or correct the post.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin