Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,006   Online: 754

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

HELP!!! :) Forgot to change plate from 120 to 220...Film is loaded. What to do???

Don't laugh, please! I have just loaded a fresh roll of 220 film into my Contax 645. I just realized that I have forgotten to change the plate from 120 size film to 220 size film? The camera has already loaded the film and ready to shoot. What can I do?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no biggie, don't panic

find a darkroom. (bathroom may work if you can seal the door cracks)
    unload the film and wrap the leader tightly and tape the spool.
    shield the roll if possible just in case it is not completely tight.
    now flick on the lights and turn the plate and reload.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have a changing bag/darkroom I would just open the camera, unwind the take-up spool enough to change the plate setting, then rewind the film until taught. Once I had the camera closed again, I would advance the film a couple or three frames before shooting anything of any real value. Could probably do this in any dark environment and not loose too many shots.

Images
    Good Evening, Haring,

I'm not familiar with the Contax 645. Perhaps it's possible to unload the camera in complete darkness and correct the situation. It certainly would be with many MF cameras.

Just shooting the film with the wrong pressure plate in place probably wouldn't result in problems with images. If the pressure place controls the exposures available, however, you might find shooting after frame 15 a problem.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    35mm
    I am going to do it tonight after my kids went bed and I will turn all the lights off... Thanks a lot!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your camera has powered film advance, wind the film back out by hand. If you open the back and close it again, it will assume you just loaded a roll and advance it to position 1.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thickness of 220 and 120 film varies (unlike 120, 220 film has no backing paper), so there can be imprecise focusing from this difference.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May have to axe the roll..

I know with my Mamiya 645AF, I can't just "rewind" the film, even if I take out the magazine, the spools will only turn one way..than you've got the paper to deal with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never, take both spools out in the dark and spool it back by hand, BTDT, Pentax 645, Linhof, Mamiya 330, Rolli and Yashica, works on every one.

On the Pentax 645, taking it out in daylight, 120 film, not bright sun and you only lose the first three frames.
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin