Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,494   Online: 775

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mesh View Post
    Gee Chris - you're a cheery guy ;-) Life's not that bad is it?
    Yes, it is that bad for photographers in the USA, especially younger ones. I'm fortunate, most people I know trying to make a living as photographers have done far worse than I have. I now get to eat every day, and I feed my son too (Thankfully, I was making enough to live by the time his mother was locked up in the state psychiatric hospital and he came to live with me). I know a lot of people who are not eating every day in my hometown, and in the USA.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagic View Post
    I think digital captured photos are about 2 or 3% of my selling images. Mostly it is rush-orders for newspapers. In the rest of my photo buisness i sell photography and i make the terms. The customer, a magazine, commercial client, ad bureau or a private customer buys images from me beacause the want what i can deliver. I findt the format that suits the assignment. 6x4,5 or 6x6 or 4x5" oer some times Tri-X in 35mm. Shooting film for me is even faster than using electronic capturing on a CMOS. I have my own lab and have the contacts from C41 or BW in 25-35 minutes. Som analouge photo is 98% of my income. I live in one of the most expensive contries in the world and i live very good.

In this Master set, two images is captured digital. Guess who: http://www.tmax100.com/photo/pdf/showcasekompressor.pdf
    Excellent work, Sir. Prove that you can still make a living off film photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edge-t View Post
    Excellent work, Sir. Prove that you can still make a living off film photography.
    Thank you so much!

I think many can live better of film than all other solutions. You dont need the expensive digital stuff. When a customer need a photographer, he need his pictures, not his gear. As long as you have a decent scanner or lab who understand your needs, making living out of film photography is easy. The hard part is how to be a photographer who is doing somthing the clients wants and need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    So my question is to you, do you use a medium format camera (or any other film format for that matter) to make money with your photography? I know it is hard to compete with digital in speed, or should film cameras be just seen as toys to take family pictures with or what? I would love to create some great shots with my medium format camera and make some money, but I'm wondering if that is not doable any more. If you are using a film camera to make money, would you mind telling me how? Thanks. Ric.
    I'm curious why you are trying to make money at photography. Nothing wrong with that...

If you are trying to make money to buy more film/gear, there are often easier/simpler/more efficient ways to earn money.

If you are trying to earn money at it to boost your ego as a photographer, too many people see right through that, and it won't likely produce happiness.

If you are looking for a career change toward photography, probably babies and weddings are the easiest money if you do it well and a good reputation spreads by word of mouth. Digital would likely accompany film for situations where it does the job better or is sufficient (such as reception photos).

The one benefit I forsee regarding earning money as a photographer is that your hobby could become a business and receive the tax benefits of a money losing business and purchases could be deductible business expenses, rather than your taxed income going out the window to paypal, cl meetups, etc... Things like insurance and bookkeeping would probably erase most of the benefits of doing this small scale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I make money with medium format the way I do with all my other formats. I shoot, I develope, I print, I sell. Is there supposed to be any more to it than that? If you want to make more off medium format, use it more.

The one thing I miss most since the advent of digital, others using common sense. It's like the friggin' Nike commercials all say, get out there and do it. This ain't rocket science.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [If you are looking for a career change toward photography, probably babies and weddings are the easiest money if you do it well and a good reputation spreads by word of mouth. Digital would likely accompany film for situations where it does the job better or is sufficient (such as reception photos).]
    The original question was about using film cameras (preferably MF) in making money. I would not think of doing a wedding today without using a digital camera, but that is not the question. I hope to do stock photography in the near future, but that will be if I can ever buy a digital camera (DSLR). What I'm wondering is, is anyone still using film to make money? That is why I asked in the OP if film cameras are now just toys to take pics of family or can you still make some money with them? I never wanted to be a full time photographer (film or digital) but would like to pick up a little extra money with my cameras before they put me in the box. Hopefully to pay for all the stuff I spent on those things over the 40 years I have been playing with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have in the past, do currently, and plan to continue to make money using film only as my medium of choice. Film gives you the opportunity to revisit the negative and reprint, or change how it is printed for a different look, and is tactile. I love to handle film, love the smell of the chemicals needed to process it. I love making prints for the same reason, it's tactile, not just visual, touch, smell, taste it if you want, it's like a mistress that demands to be handled, but no rough stuff, stare longingly at it, it is fulfilling. I sell prints through a number of outlets locally, and donate some for fund raisers(which actually brings in extra money for me).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I have in the past, do currently, and plan to continue to make money using film only as my medium of choice. Film gives you the opportunity to revisit the negative and reprint, or change how it is printed for a different look, and is tactile. I love to handle film, love the smell of the chemicals needed to process it. I love making prints for the same reason, it's tactile, not just visual, touch, smell, taste it if you want, it's like a mistress that demands to be handled, but no rough stuff, stare longingly at it, it is fulfilling. I sell prints through a number of outlets locally, and donate some for fund raisers(which actually brings in extra money for me).
    Good for you. You sound like you are a real film man and are still bucking the trend. As to the kid in the photo that is in the Navy, it was in that Navy that I got interested in photography. I went all over the Pacific with a 110 pocket camera but got talking with a photonut as we were coming back to Hawaii. He had a Nikon F and I remember saying that if you want to take a quick picture, you have to deal with all those numbers. He said I can guess at these numbers and get a better picture than your 110. As for the Navy, I went in a kid and came out something close to a man. I think when some guy in Vietnam blew the radar off my ship, while I was eating breakfast 30 feet below it, I started to look at life a little different. Thanks for your input, and thanks that your son is in the Navy, (and I'm not).
    Check out my former ship at www.usspreble.org.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    Good for you. You sound like you are a real film man and are still bucking the trend. As to the kid in the photo that is in the Navy, it was in that Navy that I got interested in photography. I went all over the Pacific with a 110 pocket camera but got talking with a photonut as we were coming back to Hawaii. He had a Nikon F and I remember saying that if you want to take a quick picture, you have to deal with all those numbers. He said I can guess at these numbers and get a better picture than your 110. As for the Navy, I went in a kid and came out something close to a man. I think when some guy in Vietnam blew the radar off my ship, while I was eating breakfast 30 feet below it, I started to look at life a little different. Thanks for your input, and thanks that your son is in the Navy, (and I'm not).
    Check out my former ship at www.usspreble.org.
    My son is a PO1 on The Big Stick, he's one of the top men in nuclear propulsion on her, and only 22yo.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film is my preferred medium. I shoot medium format for stock libraries. Film still has a certain "vibrant" quality over digital. However, income from stock library images has greatly reduced over the past few years. As one library editor put it to me, "With digital, everyone's at it, magazines etc., have become less particular over quality, now that foolish amateurs are providing material for free, just to see their name under the picture".

Here in the UK it's impossible to work for the news media unless you shoot digital. I'm happy shooting with superbly made twin lens reflexes from the 60's & 70's, delivering the kind of quality you'd have to spend several thousand pounds to equal with digital.

Income from stock pics. is too spasmodic to earn a living from, but I would not wish to take the digital route and be shooting the kind of celebrity rubbish that news photographers have to do these days to earn a living.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin