Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,978   Posts: 1,523,691   Online: 1113

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    now, lets see some images
    The first roll of Tri-X is drying as we speak and the negatives look pretty good to me, though I'm still not very good at judging negatives. Its about time I found a way to set up my enlarger (that I also got for free ) and see how I do printing. Apartment living isn't conducive to having a permanent darkroom unfortunately. If any of the photos turn out ok I'll scan and share them.

I think I might look into sending it off for a tune up after the first of the year, I'd really like to have it with me when we go visit my wife's family in Philly and DC at Christmas. For the price I paid for it there's no excuse not to spend a little money and getting running like new!

Adam

Shooter
    127 Format
    Maybe next time you're home you can stop by and take a portrait of the gentleman with that camera, and a picture of his collection. Then you'll have a nice memento to keep with the camera and you could present him with a nice print.

Most photographers never get to have their own portrait made.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Most photographers never get to have their own portrait made.
    That's a great idea, I think I'll try to work that out next time I'm back.

I scanned the first roll of film and learned that I need to work on focusing accuracy, I pretty consistently focused behind the subject. Other than user error, it works pretty well and the parts of the photos that are in focus look stellar. Here's one of the few images I made that wasn't completely out of focus.

Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rollei test-4 1024.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Be aware that the viewing lens and taking lens can get out of sync. You may be focusing perfectly fine on the viewing ground glass. But if the taking lens isn't perfectly aligned to the viewing lens, you'll always be a bit off. At longer distances, depth of field will cover this, but for closer distances it can become painfully obvious.

Just thought I'd mention this as something to pay attention to as you shake out the camera. This will be tested and adjusted as part of any good overhaul. And if you have an extra $200 around, think about getting a Maxwell screen installed when you get the overhaul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yeah I miss-focus sometimes still, stop-r-down

Nice start though, keep it up, a rollei is a great way to see the world...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    That is a great story. Now you have an obligation to use that Rollei. They are superior cameras. Irving Penn, Walker Evans, Imogen Cunningham, and Avedon used the Rollei in the 50s and 60s.

Think of the camera as a mini view camera and not a SLR. You can zone focus and pre meter for action shots; but real pleasure is found when shooting in a more deliberate way. Tri-X (EI 200) and D-76 1:1 is a good combo. The lens resolution is outstanding. Having a brighter screen adds pleasure.

Hopefully the camera does not need a CLA...but if your a serious photographer who can work in a deliberate style the CLA cost is worth it.

The camera is small for MF. I have a Bronica RF645, also small, and find the Rollei smooth edge box shape, is often just as nice or nicer to use as a walk around camera as long as its in a small bag.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    Hopefully the camera does not need a CLA...but if your a serious photographer who can work in a deliberate style the CLA cost is worth it.
    I found a guy locally who has had a camera repair business since the 60's and is taking a look at it now. Barring anything major being wrong with it, I should have it back before Christmas. To be honest, if I had bought the camera in the condition it was in I would never have considered taking it in to be cleaned, I could live with the shutter release issue if I found out the focusing error was my fault and I don't have any complaints about the other functions. But since I got it for free I'm more inclined to pay to have the gunk cleaned out and everything adjusted, especially since its such a nice camera to begin with. I might look into a new screen for it at a later date, I don't have the funds for a CLA, screen, and trip to the East Coast all in one month!

I've been lusting after a Rollei ever since my wife got a Yashica Mat 124G. I really wanted a TLR of my own and almost bought a beater Rolleicord a few months ago, I'm glad I waited!

Adam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin