Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,149   Online: 895

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Just got a Rolleiflex 2.8

Around January I was installing a security system in an older gentleman's house. My parents knew him but I'd never met him before. In a downstairs room he had a shelf the length of an entire wall that was filled with cameras. There were all kinds, an old Minox, a Zeiss folder, a couple of Nikons, some old 70's rangefinders, a Weston Master III, a 2x3 Crown Graphic, a Rolleiflex, and a whole bunch of other things. I ended up talking to him for a while after I explained that I had picked up film photography the previous year and he told me how he used to help shooting weddings in high school and that he and his girlfriend (who later became his wife) had helped pay for college by doing table shots at fraternity/sorority formals with the Crown Graphic and selling the prints. He said that he had used all the cameras at one point or another, he even still had his very first camera, a Baby Brownie.

Fast forward to yesterday. In the middle of January my wife and I took new jobs and moved away from my home town and had come back to visit my parents for Thanksgiving. There is a message on the answering machine from the gentleman asking for me to call him if I'm in town that he remembers I was interested in B&W photography and he has something to give me. When I arrived at his house he presented me with his Rolleiflex 2.8. I tried to explain to him that the camera was still worth quite a lot of money but he insisted that I take it and he'd rather give it to someone who would use it than sell it to a stranger. He also asked if there was anything else I might use but I couldn't bring myself to ask for anything more than he already given me. I thanked him profusely and told him I'd send him prints if I took any good pictures.

I'm still a little shocked by what just happened and thought I'd share the story. Definitely a Thanksgiving to remember.

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations on your Rollei. I am constantly amazed and humbled by the generosity of strangers. In my opinion, (which usually doesn't count for much) you have one of the finest cameras ever made. Used well, it will probably still be around for you to hand off to some other young photographer in 40 or 50 years.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Adam - What a spectacular story! Thanks for sharing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's awesome! Very kind of him, especially seeing how attached photographers get to their Rolleis.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    In 1995 a good friend loaned me her father's Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar. I had never used one before and was (and still am) amazed at its build quality and the simple pleasure of shooting with it.

I am still in possession of the camera, although I do not in any way consider it mine. Her father passed away a few years ago and I offered to return it if she wanted, but she said no. It is likely I will be able to use the camera until film is no longer made for it, at which time I will return it to its rightful owner.

I hope to return the generosity I have been shown in my life when I am too old to use the equipment I have acquired. I can totally understand wanting to give a camera away to an eager and respectful user rather than sell it for a profit to a stranger.

A happy Thanksgiving indeed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What can I say but ...
    E*N*J*O*Y*!*!*!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool beans! Have fun with that Rollei!!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like your story, he sounds a lot like me. I recently started letting my cameras go to good friends and relatives because I hope they will use them again. I am sure he feels the same. Enjoy your new Rollei, it is a great camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    They're very special cameras, and the more you work with them the more amazing things you can do with them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    May The Photographic Force Be With You !

Ron

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin