Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 871

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
    Right. A Bay II hood is standard throughout the range AFAIK. The lens caps are different though as you point out yourself but that's only because on later Es the lenses were slightly further apart. Filters and hoods remain the same. Buying third party hoods can be dodgy and it's best to stick with the F&H R II engraved hoods. A decent one should cost around $70.
    No the later E2/3 etc Rollei hoods are made to fit snugly if the lenses are closer together the later hood would probably foul somewhere and not fit. Remember they have cutaways for the aperture and speed doals as well as the viewing lens.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian you have me confused and I'm wondering if you're mistaken? I have a 3.5E3 and recently bought a Bay II hood for it and it fits just fine. I also have John Phillips' The Classic Rollei - A Definitive Guide and on p. 247 he lists just one Bay II metal lens hood. He keys that hood to the 3.5E, 3.5F (1958-60 and 1960-76), 3.5E2, Magic I, 3.5E3, and Magic II.

The lenses on a 3.5E2 (p. 181 in Phillips) are closer together than the lenses on a 3.5F (p. 196 in Phillips) or my 3.5E3 yet they all take the same standard Bay II hood...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You said it was a 3.5E type 1

Quote Originally Posted by peterlat View Post
    I recently bought a Rolleiflex 3.5E, version 1, with 75mm 5-element Planar. i've tried two Bay 2 lens shades, but they're too big. I read somewhere that the mount on the early 3.5E's is smaller than the 3.5F's, or later 3.5E's. Any idea what I should be looking for? Will Bay 1 work?
    Bay II is only the size, so there may have been variations in the actual hoods.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently bought a Rolleiflex 3.5E, version 1, with 75mm 5-element Planar. i've tried two Bay 2 lens shades, but they're too big. I read somewhere that the mount on the early 3.5E's is smaller than the 3.5F's, or later 3.5E's. Any idea what I should be looking for? Will Bay 1 work?
    I am in exactly the same position as you. If any comfort I bought a Bay 2 Yellow filter and that fitted the front of my Plannar. If you find a good deal on hoods give me a call we could mybe order one each and get bulk discount
    "Sharpness is a Bourgeois Concept"-H.Cartier-Bresson

Regards Kenneth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I heard caps vary for the Bay II models due to a change in the distance between the viewing and taking lens but never heard that the hoods do.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    First I tried an older Rollei shade that I bought recently on eBay. The only marking was 34 (mm?). When it didn't fit, I returned it to the seller, telling him it's probably a Bay 3. (Now I wonder if I was wrong!) Then I ordered an inexpensive aftermarket shade (Fotodiox, I think), clearly advertised as Bay 2; it also is too large. I don't have another Rollei to compare it with, but my Planar lens seems smaller in diameter than Planars on 3.5F models. I'm assuming that's because mine is the earlier 5 element model. I know that Rollei made two sizes of the mirrored lens caps for the 3.5E. There's a smaller one for the version 1 (and I have that lens cap) and a larger one for the E2/E3. So you'd think it would have to be the same for the lens hoods. Anyway, I'm stumped.
    In the E series Rollei cameras and others as far as I know, the 75mm 3.5 Planar is exactly the same size diameter whether 5 element or 6 element. I was told many years ago, by a real Rollei man, that the extra 6th element was nothing more than a UV glass filter built into the lens itself. I have owned several Rollei's and still own two E series Rollei's (best bang fore the buck in Rollei cameras) and there is NO difference in sharpness between 5 and 6 element lenses. As for your hood plight? Are you absolutely sure you have the model you think you have? Maybe it's been an altered camera(many out there)? Check the Rollei serial numbers according to their list. As far as I know there were never two different Bay II hoods, but I don't know everything and my wife makes sure to remind me of that. JohnW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin