Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,724   Online: 754

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Need help with Bay II lens hood for early Rollei 3.5E

I recently bought a Rolleiflex 3.5E, version 1, with 75mm 5-element Planar. i've tried two Bay 2 lens shades, but they're too big. I read somewhere that the mount on the early 3.5E's is smaller than the 3.5F's, or later 3.5E's. Any idea what I should be looking for? Will Bay 1 work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 3.5E2 takes a Bay 2 lens hood. There's an ebay seller who has new plastic bay 1 lens hood at a very low price it may be Heavystar I bought one for my Yashicamat 124 a few tears ago.

Maybe say where you are and someone can lend youn sonething to try.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No mention of this in any of the Rollei books I have. You are sure those hoods you tried were marked "II"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bay I definitely will not work. Are you sure what you've tried are not Bay III shades, which is slightly larger than Bay II? All Planar/Xenotar 3.5 Rollei TLR use Bay II mounts.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    First I tried an older Rollei shade that I bought recently on eBay. The only marking was 34 (mm?). When it didn't fit, I returned it to the seller, telling him it's probably a Bay 3. (Now I wonder if I was wrong!) Then I ordered an inexpensive aftermarket shade (Fotodiox, I think), clearly advertised as Bay 2; it also is too large. I don't have another Rollei to compare it with, but my Planar lens seems smaller in diameter than Planars on 3.5F models. I'm assuming that's because mine is the earlier 5 element model. I know that Rollei made two sizes of the mirrored lens caps for the 3.5E. There's a smaller one for the version 1 (and I have that lens cap) and a larger one for the E2/E3. So you'd think it would have to be the same for the lens hoods. Anyway, I'm stumped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might need to do a good search, the early 3.5E's have a compatability issue with the later Bay II lens hoods but not the filters the later E2's and E3's and F's have no problems.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks. It's good to know I'm not imagining this.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Looks as if they sent me a Bay III hood by mistake. Thanks, everyone, for the information.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    there were two versions of the Bayonet II with different distances of the centres of the lenses. The bayonet size itself didn't change. I think you could read this in the books "Rollei Report" from Claus Prochnow. For the 3,5 E2 the same accessories like for the 3,5 F should fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right. A Bay II hood is standard throughout the range AFAIK. The lens caps are different though as you point out yourself but that's only because on later Es the lenses were slightly further apart. Filters and hoods remain the same. Buying third party hoods can be dodgy and it's best to stick with the F&H R II engraved hoods. A decent one should cost around $70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin