Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,275   Online: 804

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Former owner of a GA645W and 645Zi here. Loved them both. I have loved pretty much all of the Fujis my hands have touched. I wound up getting a pair of mamiya 6es for the sake of interchangeable lenses and the square format, but I still miss the Fujis from time to time.

1) How is the bokeh? I don't care so much for sharpness but I do care about bokeh. I don't like very harsh bokeh. From browsing through flickr, it seems that the Mamiya has the best bokeh, but that also depends on the subject and photographer..
    It's basically moot in my way of thinking; these cameras have rather contrasty EBC lenses that you wouldnt want for standard portraiture anyway. Their strong suit is scenic (street, landscape etc), not portraiture. The bokeh isn't awful, but I would just say that the contrast and the bokeh and the relative slowness of the lenses combine to make something that I didn't care to use for headshots. For most other subjects the bokeh is hardly noticeable.

2) How is the handling? I prefer landscape orientation. Do you users find the native vertical orientation annoying? This is probably more of a personal question.
    I *love* the orientation in the Fujis! I really liked it. I don't understand why all the other 645s have horizontal orientation- everybody tells me the format was invented for wedding stuff and that's why it's usually landscape (to get groups of people). Maybe it's just me but I find vertical format much more useful for scenic stuff and most walk-around photography.

3) How is the shutter life? I've heard that the 6x7/6x9 rangefinder shutter life is low (500 rolls?), is this the same for 645 rangefinders? Is there anyone in the US that services them? Essex?
    Hmm I didn't know it was that low. I haven't heard of any shutter issues.

4) How is the durability? I've heard that these cameras are very plasticy.
    They might feel plasticky but they are very solid. Very well made.

5) How is the auto-focus? I don't care for autofocus, but it seems that it's the better option if I want a 45mm because the GS645W is scalepfocus and with a slower lens.
    The AF is noisy in the GA645Zi. It was a bit humorous, I mean you really hear it. But on the other hand it worked very well. I even used it for closeup sports shots.

6) How is the rangefinder/viewfinder? Is it decent? I have some 120 folders (S. Ikonta III and S. Isolette) and those, to me, are pretty good or atleast better than what I expected. Would I expect the Fuji RF's to be comparable? I've heard that they aren't that great.
    The VFs are fine. Nothing spectacular but totally fine.

7) Is the shutter loud?
    I don't remember any shutter noise. I do remember AF noise

8) Anything else I should know?
    As I implied, I think these cameras have a great place in scenic / travel/ documentary / landscape photography. The contrast lends to the feeling of great sharpness and wonderful detail. these cameras produce gorgeous slides, by the way. Would I use 'em for portraiture with creamy backgrounds? Nah. But doesn't the world have enough of those shots??!

Overall, the Fujis are really fun to use. I would consider getting one. I guess I found the 645W the most useful overall. The Zi was fun but the zoom range isn't large. But in any case these are really fun cameras and, in my experience, super reliable. Buy two!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    I have a GA645zi
    1. Agree with above comments - prefer Rolleiflex
    2. I don't mind the portrait orientation, but use landscape probably just as much - I actually find it easier to compose in landscape
    3. No problems with shutter ever
    4. After dropping it on the floor of a Land Rover in Iceland, there is now a hairline crack in the back plastic film door - otherwise mine still looks minty, even after travels...
    5. Hate the autofocus - but it does mean I have got some shots I never would have with a ponderous camera like the Rolleiflex or LF - autofocus still seems like cheating to me, and this simple implementation takes getting used to...
    6. Viewfinder is great and clear.
    7. Not at all - I've left the "beep" on it's so quiet - the film wind is also really quiet - yes, it's louder than a Rollei, but most things are - it's not as loud as my Mamiya or Fuji 6x8 - those things would wake a hibernating bear...
    8. Great quick MF travel camera - still like my Rolleiflex better, but probably made more photos with it on my last trip because it does everything... The champagne colour of the zi is delightfully gaudy and bizarre.

Marc!
    I was looking at the GA645zi. Which Rolleiflex do you prefer, I'm not familiar with the Rollei line of camera other than the 66 SL.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In July, I travelled around Iceland, The Netherlands & Switzerland, and dragged along a 4x5" kit, GA645zi & a Rolleiflex EV MX (the mid 50's one with the Tessar f/3.5 lens) - I used the 4x5" as much as I ever do, but I found, given the choice between two MF cameras - I used the Fuji when I knew I wouldn't have time to ponder photos, and when I was feeling lazy. It's a fine camera, but for urban travel photography, and simply feeling like I am crafting the picture, rather than the electronics, I still love the Rolleiflex more, and as a waist level camera, people and animals never seem intimidated by it...! The 6x6 negs give me more printing scope later on too.
    All that said, I am thinking about taking a 6x8cm rangefinder next time (crazy!!)

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I disagree. I have the GA645 and the Zi and the shutters are quiet, it's the auto advance that buzzes though only noticeable in a quiet room not on the street typically. Now the GW690III? TH-WUNK!!!
    I bought a GW690II and was almost afraid of firing it - based on anecdotal evidence from the net. But I was pleasantly surprised, not much sound at all. The counter does count so it probably makes as much noise as it should. Ok, it is not just a whisper as with the GA645Zi but my Mamiya 645 is louder.

Shooter
    35mm
    In case you're interested I just listed a GA645 in excellent condition on the classifieds. Comes with a bunch of extras. Very low shutter count (400). Please PM me if you are interested.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 645GA. Image quality is great in my opinion; it is very portable, and exceedingly automatic. If these things are important, then it would be a nice fit for you. It is probably one of the louder medium format cameras you can find, but not on the level of a Pentax 67 or similarly loud body. Basically, it's a great travel medium format camera in my view.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a much loved Fuji GS645S With a crash bar, I have taken this camera to the USA, it traveled from NY to LA, takes Very Sharp images, Put in some nice slide film and WOW !!! they are nice. I also took it to India and back no problems....Every image is sharp this camera is one of the most reliable one I have Ever owned. The Light Meter battery has been changed once or twice , that is all I have ever had to do.

Cons:- You have one lens 60mm wide, the light meter does not meter through the lens, you need to allow for it when you use a filter.

I always take good care of my cameras, I have not managed to damage, the lens mount or any thing else.

The GS645S is a very good camera it is fully manual, does not need batterys to work, I have no problem recomending one.

Johnkpap
    Australia

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just posted a pretty complete overview of my GA645Zi on YouTube. Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to fire the shutter in the video. The camera is noisy, IMO (autofocus noise, zoom noise, autowind noise), but that is the cost of all that automation. It's a very convenient and relatively compact camera, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_pybwbc0tQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin