Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,718   Posts: 1,483,112   Online: 1095

Shooter
    35mm

Rolleiflex F 3.5 Planar Lens is Cracked

I just received an otherwise nice Rolleiflex F 3.5 Planar. Upon very close inspection, I found what certainly seems to be a crack all the way across one of the inner elements of the taking lens.
    The reflected image of a light source (lamp) is brightly magenta colored on one side of the break. Then, when I tilt the lens and the reflection (of the lamp) crosses the break line, it almost disappears to an extremely faint image. The camera body also has two dents on the same side, one on the plate surrounding the wind lever, and one on the black focusing panel cover. So this could be the result of an impact.
    I haven't taken any pictures yet, and will try to get a repairperson's opinion on this asap. I know the lenses are matched, so both would have to be replaced together.
    Has anyone here ever had this problem and had it fixed successfully ?
    Meanwhile, do you think there is there any hope, or even any point to getting it repaired (and at what price) ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds like you may have some problems, iy's possible the crack is actually lens separartion between yw elements, but the two dents may have done some damage as well.

I don't know where you bought it from but my inclination would be to send it back. Getting it fully repaired because of the lens might be more than the cost of another camera.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-28-2011 at 06:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try shooting a roll with it and see if you really need it
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only way to repair it would be to replace the element from a donor camera. The front and rear elements are matched on Rollei's (matching serial numbers) but I have switched elements between cameras without any evident issues. On the other hand, Bill H has a Rollei with a truly damaged (front) element. It takes wonderful soft portraits.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    To add to the good advice given above: I would also consult with Harry Fleenor. He restored a Rolleiflex for me and did a fantastic job. http://www.rolleirepairs.com/
    Last edited by rternbach; 11-28-2011 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It may be that you can get nice images form that camera. More often than thought such a large crack decreases the mage quality only subtle.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    35mm
    NOT CRACKED - Just Separated

And the correct answer is -- Lens Separation -- as diagnosed by the good folks at Nippon Photo Clinic.
    Yes Uwe, the next step is pictures, (maybe I'll get some good shots of an alternate dimension).
    Apertures are frozen on f16, so the f16 rule will also definitely apply.
    The biggest problem is that it's a very nice looking camera, but it will certainly be high maintenance, if I have to replace the lenses.
    But I have hopes...
    Thanks to all for your much appreciated help.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    TriXfan ,

Lens separation happens and does not require a lens element change ,you can have it repaired .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Harry Muller charges me $60 bucks for such a job in Santiago, Chile
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    possible the crack is actually lens separartion
    My thoughts also.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin