Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,654   Online: 838

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +2
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, so can we summarise\generalise by saying that light or moderate rain for a shortish period of time (a few minutes) probably won't cause it any bother. Obviously I realise it's not an 'underwater camera' and wouldn't leave it stood in heavy rain either. I just wanted to check that if it got a bit of a splash it wouldn't ruin it.

I don't actually leave my F5 stood in a torrent of rain either, but I know that I can use it in the rain without having to fret about getting it covered up straiht away.

By the sounds of it, the Hassies are quite tough and can be used in a variety of conditions, from hot to cold, dry to wet, but just nothing too extreme. If that's not the case, please let me know, but that is what I have summised by the replies to date.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.amustard.com/?page=kit&ex...e=photo&size=s
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd say a F5/1V/1D/D3 class body with a sealed lens (Canon L or new Nikon ones with gaskets) is more water resistant than a Hassy. However a F5 with a regular AFD lens is probably just as good, your main issue is getting water in the lens, if you wipe it before using the aperture/shutter rings you'll be ok and make sure you don't transfer water in focusing (water on extended barrel carried inside when focusing). Obviously if you're not using a prism, leaving the WLF chimney open in the rain is not very wise.

I've used my 501 in moderate (i.e. I could stay out with waterproofs without thinking "this is crap") rain with no issues, just made sure to wipe it every now and then to avoid getting standing water on it.

Overall, I'm more comfortable using the hassy in the rain as if water gets in it should still work while an electronic camera will just die. How you get the water out and avoid rust is another issue!
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    grit is the worst....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just saw this on Amazon Ted http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Oly...3045018&sr=8-1 It looks ideal for a Hasselblad.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Hasselblad 5xx is a "wet" camera, in the sense that it's well-lubricated.

That lubrication will protect some of the internal parts from moisture, although exposure to same is not recommended.

The cameras are not waterproof, but they're very solidly built and not delicate.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Benjiboy - a neat link, thanks. I'll consider one of those for any of my cameras I think! Thanks.

Thanks to all for the help. I think we've arrived at a fair number of views which seem to largely echo each other.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ted part of being a photographer is knowing how to protect your equipment the only cameras I would trust to be waterproof are purpose built ones like the Nikon Nikonos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikonos.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-06-2011 at 03:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin