Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,634   Online: 1120

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My apologies if I was coming off harsh in any way. I don't feel entitled to information and opinions from you guys on APUG, but I do hope for a response, that's all. I'm just getting frustrated because the medium format process (both buying and actually using) seems so complicated, frustrating, time-consuming, and money sucking...which I wasn't expecting. It actually reminds me of when I was starting out with SLRs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpn View Post
    I'm well on my way to breaking the replacement lever, unfortunately. The quick release plate on my tripod bends the replacement focusing lever if I forget to take the camera off of the tripod before changing film. This has happened a few times due to my sheer stupidity, the metal feels weaker, and I'm waiting for my replacement focusing lever to break. Totally my fault. Frustrating all the same.
    Suggestion: contact Karl with photos and a description. I bet he could modify your lever to avoid the problem.

For example, the focus scale is sort of a luxury. It could be removed or cut back, the focus knob and bend repositioned, etc. (If you decide to remove the focus scale, realize that the two screw hole for the screws that hold it on actually go all the way through to the film chamber. Be sure to put the screws back in place or plug the holes another way. Those light leaks drove me crazy on one overhaul until I reailzed that the holes went through.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As was mentioned the Ricoh Diacord is a real gem, it looks a lot like the Minolta. I have had mine for about 4 months. I have a handmeter but the meter in the camera is still quite good. Only problem for me was loading film to get the counter reading one. I finally just took a roll and with the back open figured it out. As others said, finding a club or someone local to handle and get the feel of the camera would answer a lot of your questions.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgot to mention, the craiglist ads can be very risky here. The few times I have bought I always requested a very public meeting place, due to the fact you are dealing in cash and a total stranger.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You want one that's right straight from the start? Mark Hama sells already refurbished Yashicas with a six month warranty. They're in the $450 range. I know you couldn't afford the one here so that's out too. Maybe save up for a while. You get what you pay for.

EDIT: Mark's ebay store doesn't list any right now but this is his:

http://stores.ebay.com/Lakesuwa-Camera-Store?_rdc=1

I've corresponded with him and he's quite helpful, and can let you know if he has one that'll soon be ready to sell but, again, at about $450 or so best I remember. Or you can do what I did and take your chances and buy something that's probably fine. Mine works fine but the film transport squeaks a little. May just need some lube, don't know, but it's just a squeak right now (and only with film in it.) If it dies I'll buy the next good one I find or one already refurbed by Mark and then have him fix this one.

It's not inherently frustrating but you seem determined to make it frustrating or to be frustrated.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 12-12-2011 at 08:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why would I be determined to make things frustrating? Do you think I enjoy the frustration? If push comes to shove, I can always save for longer and then come up with $450, but I'd rather not. I am not one to just throw all my money at photography, as I have other interests and obligations. It just seems rather annoying that I need to buy one, have it shipped to me, and immediately ship it out to someone in another country for even more money. With 35mm, I can expect to buy it and have it work right away. I realize 35mm is not medium format, but I didn't think that there would be this much to it. That and there seem to be annoyances with developing the film as well as just changing a roll after you've done your measly 12 shots. It's just more than I "signed up" for, but I'm sure that upon purchasing, and learning through using the equipment, it'll eventually be easy.

Oh, and thanks for the Ricoh and Ebay suggestions/links.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    Why would I be determined to make things frustrating? Do you think I enjoy the frustration? If push comes to shove, I can always save for longer and then come up with $450, but I'd rather not. I am not one to just throw all my money at photography, as I have other interests and obligations. It just seems rather annoying that I need to buy one, have it shipped to me, and immediately ship it out to someone in another country for even more money. With 35mm, I can expect to buy it and have it work right away. I realize 35mm is not medium format, but I didn't think that there would be this much to it. That and there seem to be annoyances with developing the film as well as just changing a roll after you've done your measly 12 shots. It's just more than I "signed up" for, but I'm sure that upon purchasing, and learning through using the equipment, it'll eventually be easy.

Oh, and thanks for the Ricoh and Ebay suggestions/links.
    As I said, the need for repair is the same across 35mm and medium format. It's not that medium format cameras are in constant need of repair, it's just that it's a good idea to ensure that older cameras such as the ones mentioned in this thread are in good working condition. If you have older 35mm cameras and you're fine with the condition, you'll likely be fine with a medium format camera of the same age.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My honest suggestion would be to do exactly that - wait and save little more before jumping in.

At 250 dollar budget, your choices are limited. At 450 dollar budget, you have much wider selection and potentially a system camera in good condition. Medium format isn't frustrating. Developing film is no different - just a tad bigger reel and double the developer. Yes, you have only 15, 16, 12, 10, 8 or less frames per roll but then mentality in shooting is different. Think - compose - rethink, meter, set, rethink, recompose, and fire. I have hard time finishing 15 frames sometimes.

If you hang around APUG, you'll see various MF cameras come and go in classified section. You can have a Rolleicord in great shape for about your budget. (I know because I bought and eventually sold mine here for that price range) You could also find all kinds of system cameras, like Mamiya, Bronica, etc. Personally, I prefer shopping here than anywhere else.

Good luck. Remember, folks here are trying to help you.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the camera is advertised as being in fully working order and it arrives as such, it seems rather pointless to throw money away to have repairs that aren't needed. Does every camera have something wrong with it that every Yashica Mat or Autocord or Rolleiflex or Diacord must be repaired?

Well, I'll stick to my $250 budget for now, especially considering I've seen a bunch of TLRs for under that on different sites. However, when I am done saving up for that $250, if I find that number insufficient, then I'll just continue saving. And I'm not purchasing right away, so maybe in a couple months I'll warm up to using APUG Classifieds.

I have no beef with 12 shots per roll. It was odd to learn about initially, but it's completely fine. But I read earlier that loading, rewinding, changing rolls, etc. can be a hassle. This is magnified when there is only 12 shots and the likelihood that you will finish the roll is much greater vs 24 or 36 exposure rolls as in 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    If the camera is advertised as being in fully working order and it arrives as such, it seems rather pointless to throw money away to have repairs that aren't needed. Does every camera have something wrong with it that every Yashica Mat or Autocord or Rolleiflex or Diacord must be repaired?
    Obviously not. However, these are old cameras. Chances are they could use a cleaning. Depends how picky you are. I don't think there will be anything wrong with a camera bought as 'in fully working order' from a reputable seller. However, chances are it won't be working like new, either. Focusing could always be smoother, for example.

This is the last time I'll say that...I feel like I've made the same post three times now, and yet you keep raising the same question. If you don't want to listed to the advice being given, I have no problem with that, but that begs the question...why ask in the first place?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin