Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,352   Online: 1050

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm with the "Facebook is what you make of it" crowd. It's aim is social networking, not photography, so with that in mind here's some simple tips for people who are worried about joining...

1. You are actually not obligated to have 1000 "friends" and dribble endless crap to each other like the kids do. Just have the people you actually know and would relate to in the real world as your contacts. I find it's a great way of keeping in touch with friends who have moved town and reconnecting with old friends who I had lost contact with.

2. You are not actually obligated to post photos that you think may be stolen by newspapers (or used inappropriately in any other way). As I said, Facebook isn't a photography site. If you're worried about public access to your photos there then don't post them. If you do post them you can set the privacy levels so that only your Facebook friends can see them rather than full public access. If you're scared of posting photos to a public Rollei club on Facebook then there is nothing stopping you from keeping your photos to yourself and just participating in the discussions instead.

3. It's not a dedicated photography site, however due to its social-networking basis it's a good platform for fans of anything (eg. the Rollei "club" that started this thread) to join together and interract. No harm done.

So everything is your choice. It's your choice whether to join FB or not and its your choice what you do with it when you're there. So I think the people who are actually complaining about others creating and enjoying a FB Rollei group simply because the complainers feel they're excuded due to choosing not to join FB are a bit out of line.

My own personal view on the photography site vs Facebook issue is that sites like APUG and PhotoNet will always be the best resourse for research and discussion; Flickr will always be the best resource for displaying your work; and Facebook is another animal entirely that is all about social networking which in part can involve photography related discussion and photo sharing.
    Last edited by fenderslash; 12-12-2011 at 03:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by philbed View Post
    In France, we use to say "Face de bouc" for Fbook. It means "Goat's face". That's a perfect definition ! On Fbook there are noboby older than thirteen years old so I'm not sure that anyone on Fbook knows what a Rolleiflex is. There are many Forums as Apug and the Rollei List dedicated to MF photography. No need for an other.
    You should see the work that's coming out of France using Rolleiflex - if that's 13 year olds posing as adults they are all geniuses and I bow down to France.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in. There's some wonderful work there.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just requested to join. Thanks.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just approved ya

Welcome.

It's really not so bad, we rarely get any posts at all that are not 'on the level'. Granted - the level is not as in-depth as on here, but again, it's more about networking and meeting people. I can't wait to get on my road trip in the photo bus and visit all my Fbook friends.
    I do hope to become a more regular contributor to this community and that I make many life-long friends in here as well.

Cheers,
    Anton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You shouldn't have to justify promoting analog photography anywhere on the net. Facebook is Facebook; if you don't like it, don't go. But there are a lot of great photographers out there, and surprising as it seems, many of them have never heard of APUG. Meet them, greet them, and by all means invite them. There's more than enough room here for them. But please don't denigrate them.

Rant over. (hm... somebody musta pissed in my cornflakes this morning. )
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will not join facebook because I refuse to support Mark Zuckerberg; a number one jerk in my opinion. I suppose some folks would say, too bad it is your loss.
    Howard Tanger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve Jobs was reputedly a huge jerk too but I support him and his company in an even much bigger way!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rolleiflex of no Rolleiflex - Facebook or no Facebook but have you guys checked this out?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...oto-palace-bus

I would give up my facebook account AND all of my 11 Rolleis if I could make this happen like I want to to happen: traveling for the next 5-10 years first across the country and then the globe, meeting real people and photographing them, teaching and lecturing for free about the art of traditional photography.... Let's take the conversation in that direction eh?

Shooter
    35mm
    A number of years ago there was a forum specifically for Rolleiflex. Does anyone know if it still exists?

DaveO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin