Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,526   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    If you are looking for a hasselblad set up i would probably go with the 500cm, WLF (waist level finder), or a prism finder, a12 back, and a 80cf lens.

For the finder. I prefer using the WLF as that is they way that i like to work. If you like looking into a view finder, i would go with the NC2. It is a very basic 45 degree finder.

The 80 lens is the normal lens on a 6x6 camera. So if you like shooting a 50 on 35mm format, the 80 is for you. If you like shooting longer or wider then normal you still have a lot of choices in lens. Like the 50 for a wide and a 150 for a longer.
    A second on that. The 500cm is a good intro to medium format shooting (the elm or elx is better suited to commercial work: noisy, heavy and best wedded to a tripod). If you take a liking to the Blad system you can expand your system, as suggested, to the holy triumvirate of the 50/80/150 or, if money is less a concern (or interest warrants) to the 50/80/120M/180). Extra backs, of course, are always a good investment - and relatively cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-11.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	42677

That's what I meant with a few "dings". It's around 375 US dollars, from a reputable shop, not ebay. Supposed to be in good mechanical and optical condition. The 80mm f2.8 C Planar T* lens is the exact same price.
    Canon F1n / FTb / AE-1P | Yashica Mat-124G | Hasselblad 500C/M | Leica IIIf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent. Someone asked exactly the same questions which I was going to ask... not that I can afford a Hasselblad at the moment!

Steve.

Note: The Hasselblad pictured above has a good deal of wear on the camera body's metal light seal ridges. This is caused by improperly seating the film backs on the camera. Find a camera that is has not been used in this manner! There should be little or no wear on the lower left and right corners. The camera pictured may leak light. Always check for this kind of wear and tear.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is that actually a great concern? Can a wee bit of scuffed paint affect the sealing of the camera back?

There's a big difference between a little scuffed paint and raised aluminum ridges that are worn flat. It's common for users to slap the backs on and slide them into position rather than to seat the metal feet of the camera body into the back and then hinge the back into place. I would want to inspect any camera body personally before paying $400 or so. It's just one point to examine when buying a used Hasselblad.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, is there anything else that needs checking out when buying them? That particular example wouldn't be too hard for me to check out, so the more that I can check at the same time the better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, and if those ridges are worn, how much wear is acceptable? Are we talking just paint removed, or do they have to be worn half way down for it to be a problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    tag. good info.

I just bought the 500cm that Clark sold. Thankfully, it was just CLA'd less than a year ago.

Ideally, you should get a 30-day optical/mechanical return privilege with any camera you buy from a reputable source. That would give you time to try the camera and have a repair person give it a once-over for you. I would recommend a tuneup for any Hasselblad purchased used unless the seller certifies it's had a recent checkup. A qualified technician will tell you what shape it's in. A Hasselblad is a precision instrument. It's more like owning a Porsche than a Ford. Plan on occasional maintenance for camera body, lenses and backs, depending on how much you use them. They're great cameras, and I love mine. With care, they will last many years.

Peter Gomena

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin