Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,774   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

MF History - Any Cameras Cover All Four Popular Sizes? (6x4.5 - 6x9)

I was reading a book today (yep, made from real dead trees) on camera history and got to wondering if there were any MF cameras designed and made (possibly with masks) to cover all the major MF sizes - 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9. I wouldn't expect such a beast to stray much further into the panoramic class - 6x12 or higher, but that would be interesting.

I know several folders have masks to cover both 6x4.5 and 6x6 or similar arrangements. But aside from fabricating masks for my own 6x9 Ikonta folder, was there ever a model designed specifically to cover all four sizes?

Cheers,
    -- David N.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Probably not what you are looking for but the Sinar Zoom 2 multi-format rollfilm back for large format cameras allows you to shoot 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Mamiya Super 23 and Universal press cameras have backs that cover all four sizes. There were 6x9 and 6x7 dedicated backs and a convertible back that could be switched between 6x4.5, 6x6, and 6x9. They may have also made a 6x12 back in very limited quantities, but they're as rare as unicorns.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah yes, the Mamiya Universal. Forgot about that classic. Almost bought one a few years ago too.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Without interchangeable backs or adapters, there is none AFAIK.

6.5x9 plate cameras can also do that by means of rollfilm adapters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Out of the mainstream but Zero Image does have a pinhole that will handle those sizes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only slightly astray from the subject.
    A question for the Mamiya, RB'rs out there; did Mamiya make a 6 X 6 back for the RB?

If they did, then with the RB, (Pro SD needed for 6 X 8 back use), you could
    shoot four sizes with a RB: 6 X 8...6 X 7...6 X 6...and 645.
    Last edited by Marc B.; 12-08-2011 at 07:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, there is an RB 6x6 back, but not very common. Otherwise, the Internets says a Graflex RH12 back will fit. In this case, maybe a Baby Speed with corresponding backs would be a nice alternative.

Well, okay, I would like to have one of those, anyway!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    GX680III will do 645-6x8. It can also be used to hammer railroad spikes or as a wrecking ball if necessary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Yes, there is an RB 6x6 back
    Does it rotate? Being the sort of person who sometimes turns a 6x6 folder through ninety degrees to get a better composition, I would appreciate that option!

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin