Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,464   Online: 914

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

backpack for a big hasselblad kit

I currently tote my 50-80-150 lens kit with film, spot meter, prism, etc. In a Hadley Pro bag (a going away gift from co-workers), It is really, really full.....and I'd like to get a 250mm lens. That is too much for my shoulders so on the back it must go. I like shoulder bags because they are so easy to work out of, but I expect I'll use the 250 enough to justify the switch to a backpack. It should also give me some extra room for an extra back as I am thinking about shooting chromes a bit also. Anyway, is anyone out there toting this sort of kit? What is your bag strategy? I looked at Thinktank a bit and they looked promising. Alternatively, I may just take something like a Kelty Redwing and put in the padding, etc, myself

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Mark, I use a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW for my RB67 kit which includes a body, prism, 4 lenses, an extra back and I still have plenty of room for lens hoods, film, filters, etc...
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/...AW,1965,14.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Mark. I have been very pleased with my Domke 4AF. It is deceptively small looking and I love that it's a drab olive waterproof canvas. It has removeable padding and can easily go in the washingmachine. With a purchase of the Domke Post Office Shoulder Pad, even more comfortable for long treks in the woods. Here's what I carry usually carry in mine to give you an idea:

Hasselblad 503cw
    3 A12 backs
    3 lenses [50mm, 80mm 150mm - one is usally attached to body]1 Pola back
    Large meter
    Air cable and small cable
    3 Filters
    Prism Viewfinder
    3 extension rings
    1 Quick Release Plate
    Lots of Film
    Digital recorder (I record every exposure)

I have to pick and choose if I want to carry a really large lense like my 40mm, but you get the gist of its capabilities.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently added a fourth lens to my kit and had to get a larger bag. I chose the Lowe Pro Flipside 400 and have not regretted.
    It takes a little getting used to but it's main feature is that you can keep the waist strap on, take of the shoulder straps and swing the bag around in front of you. You access the insde of the bag from the back. Standing in water this is a huge advantage.

That said, i do not have a lens as long as the 250. my lenses are 40, 50, 80 and 150 a 503CW and 3 backs.
    There is room for filters and small stuff in front of the bag and i have bought one of the lens attachments which holds my extra film rolls.
    It is possible that one of the many lens attachments would hold your 250mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Travis, thanks for the tip on the mini-trekker....I think I have one in the basement from about 20 years ago! amac212: Actually that is the bag that I used regularly before I was given the Hadley. With the pad, it carries a 3 lens kit really well. Jan: really interesting bag. I may need to check it out!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used a Tamrac 787 for the past twelve years. It easily accommodates two Hasselblad bodies/backs and three or more lenses plus other goodies and a Gortex shell and many rolls of film. The interior can be configured as you wish with removable inserts. It is adjustable for a comfortable fit. Of course it doesn't have to be filled but I prefer more space as opposed to less. There are accessory attachments that can be added as well. My 250 easily fits and it can be configured to fit my 350. It fits overhead compartments in airplanes being just under 20in. I'm not sure what the current model number is and even back the it was costly but it definitely has been worth it.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My blad kit all fits into a lowepro AW 'Orion' Hip back that is also convertible to a backpack. I can get my Hasselblad body, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, and a darlot petzval, my 'great hassel lens', a spare back, 10 rolls of film and my gossen Luniasix 3s into the bottom half. You can get the Lowepro lens cases to fit around the waist belt if you needed one, or just put them inside the top half of the backpack when you want to go fully laden. It makes for a very compact and modular set up.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hiked in Yosemite with my Lowe Pro Slingshot 302 with a Mamiya system. I carried 1 body, a 50mm, a 90mm, prism and a Giottos carbon fiber tripod with ball head. It killed my shoulder. If I knew better, I would have bought a full backpack. What was a saving grace of the bag was a hip strap that took some load off my shoulders. From my experience, get a backpack with hip straps. Lowe Pro makes excellent bags, but heavy loads don't work well with slingshot bags. I weighed the bag it it was 18 pound loaded.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check out the packs from F-Stop, if you haven't already.
    http://fstopgear.com/

I use a Loka with medium ICU for my Hasselblad outfit: 500 C/M, 2 backs, 3 lenses, extension tubes, teleconverter, spot meter, pro hood, tripod, etc. If you have more kit, you can use a larger insert, although that won't leave room for much else. They also make a couple bigger packs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought a Tamrac Summit backpack. I haven't tried it with the Hassy kit, but my 5x7 Korona fits nicely in it, with some holders, meter, reducing back, and a couple of lenses. It would hold a pretty extensive Hasselblad kit easily. I use strap on external pockets for the holders.
    It's very nicely made and comfortable to carry IMO. Well padded, stands up on its own, very flexible partitioning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin