Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,681   Online: 851

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    On my Bronicas, too, I wouldn't be without the quick focusing ring.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the studio, or on a tripod, I prefer to use a waist level finder with my 6x6 Bronicas. Handholding - nothing beats a prism (and a speed grip).
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Depth of Field scale is on the lens.

Looking straight down, holding the camera as if one was taking a photograph, there is an index mark for, from the camera body out: Focusing distance in feet (red); Focusing distance in meters (white); the static index line, with lines to the left and right labeled with f/stops; Aperture; and Shutter Speeds.

Depth of Field: First focus. Then, all within the distances indicated by the lines marked with f/stops will be in "acceptable" focus. Alternately, one can use a so-called "hyperfocal" system. An example: Set the focus infinity (the "eight on its side") to the right line marked "22" and all between there and the left "22" will be in acceptable focus, at an aperture of f/22, i.e., ~2.7 meters (8.7 feet) to infinity.

I hope all this makes sense. If not, I'll haul my lazy gluteus maximus to the filing cabinets in my darkroom and copy the pages from the Hasselblad Manual.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    One thing to think about when shooting in this mode is that with the waist-level finder, you're always looking up the subject's nose. Sometimes this can be effective, like in the photograph of the officer in the uniform, and other times it's just an artifact of the way the finder is made.
    I actually found the waist-level finder better for composition and angle than an eye level. That's one of the reasons I took the Hassy with me and not the Nikon F90X. In all times it gave me a better angle. Maybe with a telephoto and a bride it could present a problem, but shooting from the chest gave the portraits a down-up angle which accentuated their look of "pride". It works well with the officer as you mentioned.
    A note about the officer: He works at the base I was stationed and we know each other well, he was the want to notice me first. If you know him, the portrait is a failed one because he looks like a latin american torturer and is one of the most kind and gentle people I know! For one thing, he is not event infrantry, he is medical (can't remember his speciallity). Always looking after us drafted soldiers (the slaves of the greek army).

Back to the finder, I was also able to take some low shoots, like of the kids with the traditional cretan uniform in the parade and of the kids in the party.
    I don't know, I just like it!
    Makes people taller too!
    (suprisingly it took me very little time to get used to the recersed image and waist-level finder and now its second nature, flipping the magnifier to focus and putting it down to frame)

Btw, I forgot to mention that the photos were published in the newspaper I work at (my father's). I was quite stressed to get them ready in time (I really feel for the old photojournalists who didn't use digital) and the Hasselblad quality is way overkill for the rough print of the paper. I could have gotten away with cellphone images, but I shot the images for myself, to keep them. That's why I couldn't be a professional payroll photographer.
    That's why I choose my own jobs and do something else for my daily bread.

Oh, yes. The weight of the camera: not a problem at all. My other 35mm SLRs aren't much lighter (Nikon F, F90X).
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Arigam:
    'blad at one time made a pistol grip w/release that fit beneath the camera Giving a much better balance than a side mounted grip. You may want ot keep an eye out for one.

Nicole:
    If you can get a copy of the Kodak Professional data guide. It has a great deal of information in a compact size.
    DOF calculator is one of many items in it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You already have one! Its on the lens. I recommend the Ernst Wildi manual on Hasselblad Learning to utilize hyperfocusing is quite a simple concept and once you get the hang of using it your craft will improve dramatically. Best of Luck.
    As long as there are those that buy film,shoot film and process film -there will always be film. Don't believe the myth that film is dead or dying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a great thread and very informative. My main issue is still with my focussing. Too spoiled from the Autofocus and now need to concentrate more on hyperfocal distances etc... I also just bought The Hasselblad Manual for some light bedside reading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    This is a great thread and very informative. My main issue is still with my focussing. Too spoiled from the Autofocus and now need to concentrate more on hyperfocal distances etc... I also just bought The Hasselblad Manual for some light bedside reading.
    Using the hyperfocal distance for pre-focusing is sometimes helpful, but for your style of work, Nicole, I'm guessing that you'll still want to focus precisely, rather than depending on DOF and small f-stops. If you're using a prism finder, there is also a view magnifier that flips into position for very precise focusing. I find it really handy - as long as the subject is relatively static.

If you want to print out some DOF tables for your lenses to add to your light, bedside reading (Wildi is almost as good as Adams), I have one on my site at the link below that you may find useful.

http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/DOF2.html
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm

sucker for Leitz and Zeiss

I am a sucker for anything using Zeiss or Leitz lenses. I think a 6x6 Hasselblad is a wonderful camera although I do not currently own one. I think for 6X6 candid photography where a normal lens is useful nothing beats a Rollei TLR with Zeiss optics. The frame finder on the hood and the depth of field scales and the abilty to focus at eye level on a very dependable, light weight and super quiet body is a really neat. Of course I do not own a Rollei TLR either. I am not currently into people photography at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have removed the images to save space.
    I apologise but it will be either featured in my APUG gallery or on a web site when I have it up and running.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin