Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,406   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all for replies. I look for to buy a Bronica SQ-AI, I'm reassured !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Manet,
    you may find that the sqB gives you better value for money. The in-built light meter may be more difficult to work with than a simple handheld one which you should have in any case. That is how I argued before buying an sqb and I don't regret at all.
    good luck, we look forward to hearing what you decide
    Peter

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phelger View Post
    Manet,
    you may find that the sqB gives you better value for money. The in-built light meter may be more difficult to work with than a simple handheld one which you should have in any case. That is how I argued before buying an sqb and I don't regret at all.
    good luck, we look forward to hearing what you decide
    Peter
    The SQ-B is a sweet, no frills camera. None of my MF cameras have metered prisms and it's never been a regret. They do seem to be a little more difficult to find than SQ, SQ-A and SQ-Ai bodies. They were originally sold as a kit with a WLF, PS-B 80/2.8 lens, and SQ-B 120 back. The only downside is that 120 backs for the SQ bodies are scarce and pricey relative to 220 backs--which can be used with 120 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SQ-B's only downside is lack of Bulb exposure, have to use T -setting via the lens.
    It might also lack mirror lock up, but I am not sure.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
    SQ-B's only downside is lack of Bulb exposure, have to use T -setting via the lens.
    It might also lack mirror lock up, but I am not sure.
    The SQ-B does have MLU. Just to clear up any guesswork, have a look here:

http://www.tamron-usa.com/assets/pdfs/sq-b.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    The SQ-B does have MLU. Just to clear up any guesswork, have a look here:

http://www.tamron-usa.com/assets/pdfs/sq-b.pdf
    Thank you. So actually it only does not have 'B' exposure.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you. So actually it only does not have 'B' exposure.
    Think the confusion starts with the "kit" lens for the SQ-B--the PS-B 80/2.8 that lacks the "T" switch found on other S and PS lenses. The linked manual above explains the work-around for "T" exposures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Bronica SQ is a wonderful 6x6 system with excellent lenses that are very affordable. I've had the SQ-A, SQ-Ai and SQ-B. The only problem I ever had was with the batteries in my SQ-Ai. Bronica had to compromise the camera to fit in the TTL flash circuitry by switching to four button batteries instead of the standard 6V battery. Button batteries were designed for 1970s 35mm cameras, not 120 SLRs. I finally got so fed up hassling with them that I sold the camera and bought an SQ-B, which I've been very happy with. It you don't need a meter prism that's the model to get. Or else get the motorized winder grip for the SQ-Ai as mentioned earlier.

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not a downside at all since B mode drains the batteries anyway, same feature is missing also on SQ-A body.

I like the feature of metering prisms, especially the older ME prism where shutter speeds are also available in half-step increments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for these interesting features to know.
    And thx to CGW for the link. For to compare it with the other models, replace sq-b by sq or sq-a or sq-ai...

jp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin