Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,124   Online: 857

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    Given your budget and desire for a 6x45 or 6x6 negative, the Pentax 45mm for the P645 might fit the bill. I tried my 45mm on a P645 D to see how it compared against my other lenses for my P645 and was blown away when I pixel peeped it. This matched what I was seeing in my negatives. I have not done proper testing but the manual focus 45mm lens is very good. Current prices are reasonable, approximately $250 for the lens and about $400-500 for a body. I am very happy with the ruggedness and handling of my P645N.

Probably outside your price range unless you get a good deal, and not as rugged as the P645 is a Mamiya 6 with a 50mm lens. That lens is outstandingly sharp.
    Thanks Martin. Yes I've been looking at the P645/P645N with the 45mm and it's on my shortlist of three. Thanks for the first-hand report. My only concern about the Pentax is the lack of mirror lockup (unless I get the NII). I believe that the mirror is well damped but as a landscape shooter am struggling to reconcile myself with not having MLU (yes, I've read and re-read the 645-MLU report on luminous-landscape.com!).

I would love a Mamiya 6 but yes, unfortunately, it's too expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    andrew I was just looking a keh IF you could afford roughly $1300 you could pick up older pentax 645 with a 35 lens which is roughly equal to 24mm if I remember right. And the 35 is supposed to be pretty good. by the way I have the older no mlu p645 and never had a problem with mirror slap

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryP View Post
    andrew I was just looking a keh IF you could afford roughly $1300 you could pick up older pentax 645 with a 35 lens which is roughly equal to 24mm if I remember right. And the 35 is supposed to be pretty good. by the way I have the older no mlu p645 and never had a problem with mirror slap
    Thanks Larry. I've also been browsing KEH (a lot!). $ 1300 is too much for me (well... my wife) at the moment but the P645 with 45mm lens is much more affordable and I can add the 35 later. One of the benefits of te P645 is from what I read, the 35mm is better than the M645 35mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot mainly landscapes with my P645N and don't miss having mirror lockup at all. Many low light shots taken 1/30s and slower and never an issue from vibration. I will look later if I can find examples from my negs. The Luminous Landscape article is consistent with what I have found using my camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    http://www.kievusa.com/

Look at the 45mm

Good morning, IC-Racer;

When I last looked at the KievUSA website, it had not been updated since about 2008. My telephone calls to them usually end with a recording on their machine that is not answered. My e-mail messages to them also have produced no response. I did get one person on his cellular telephone in February of 2009 (I think) while the remaining staff were on a "working vacation" at a photography show in Florida. Something was mentioned about checking for me when they returned back to Connecticut, but there was no further contact. Things just have not been the same since the death of Saul Kaminski back in 2007. They were our best source for things for the Kiev Arsenal (Zavod Kyiv) medium format cameras here in the United States.

I do agree that the Mir-26B 3.5/45mm lens is a pretty good lens. Trying to locate the better Mir-69B 3.5/45mm from 1989 will be a challenge; they did not make very many of them. Then the Kiev ARSAT 3.5/55mm PCS lens is even better yet if the quality of reproduction is important, and you can accept the slightly narrower angle of view. We can still get Kiev Arsenal lenses used, but the best sources for them now are in Europe.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    I shoot mainly landscapes with my P645N and don't miss having mirror lockup at all. Many low light shots taken 1/30s and slower and never an issue from vibration. I will look later if I can find examples from my negs. The Luminous Landscape article is consistent with what I have found using my camera.
    Thanks Martin, I appreciate your first hand report. The P645N + 45mm is looking very attractive at the moment. (I came to the conclusion that I just don't like the button based controls of the original P645 so would probably opt for the N instead).
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 12-15-2011 at 09:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A big "thank you" to everyone who took the time to help me here. I really do appreciate it.

After carefully considering all the responses, and doing a fair amount of other research, I finally came to the conclusion that most of the systems have wides that would surpass my abilities. So I based the decision mostly on system and financial criterea. I decided that I want interchangable backs, which rules out the Pentax. Between the Mamiya and Bronica 645s, the main reasons were that the Bronica has the widest lens I can afford (since the Bronica 40 PE is wider than the Mamiya 45 and substantially cheaper than the Mamiya 35 N) and can accept standard cable releases without an additional cost adapter (all the Mamiyas that take interchangable backs use a proprietary electric cable release). I also like the idea of a leaf shutter, since with mirror up this means I can use a fairly lightweight tripod (Gitzo 2 series) while hiking without having to be concerned about vibration.

Between the Bronica ETRSi and SQ-A, the main reasons were price (the SQ-A with 40/4 would have been nearly twice as expensive) and because the 40 PS lens for the SQ-A takes 95mm filters, which would end up costing a stack (probably forcing me to buy into a filter system rather than being able to use circular filters). The 40 PE takes 62mm filters, the same as almost all the PE lenses, so I can use a set of relatively inexpensive circular filters. Between the Mamiya RB/RZ and the others, weight was the deciding factor - partly because my parents are in the USA for Christmas and have agreed to bring a camera back for me, saving a couple of hundred dollars in shipping costs, but I didn't feel I could lumber them with an RZ67!

So I've ordered a Bronica ETRSi with a waistlevel finder, 120 back and 40/4 PE. Total cost was US$ 510.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 12-19-2011 at 08:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.roos View Post
    Between the Mamiya and Bronica 645s, the main reasons were that the Bronica has the widest lens I can afford (since the Bronica 40 PE is wider than the Mamiya 45 and substantially cheaper than the Mamiya 35 N) and can accept standard cable releases without an additional cost adapter (all the Mamiyas that take interchangable backs use a proprietary electric cable release). I also like the idea of a leaf shutter, since with mirror up this means I can use a fairly lightweight tripod (Gitzo 2 series) while hiking without having to be concerned about vibration.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Andrew
    Andrew:

Good luck with your Bronica - I'm sure it will be a good choice!

Just one point about the Mamiya 645 cameras with interchangeable backs. While they do use proprietary electric cable releases, there are also Mamiya adapters that permit use of standard cable releases. Those adapters come in a couple of different versions, including the ones that also serve to connect the left-hand grips, and are fairly easy to find on eBay.

Here is one example listing, with a starting price near $10.00: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mamiya-645-CA...item2eb9f91699
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Andrew:

Good luck with your Bronica - I'm sure it will be a good choice!

Just one point about the Mamiya 645 cameras with interchangeable backs. While they do use proprietary electric cable releases, there are also Mamiya adapters that permit use of standard cable releases. Those adapters come in a couple of different versions, including the ones that also serve to connect the left-hand grips, and are fairly easy to find on eBay.

Here is one example listing, with a starting price near $10.00: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mamiya-645-CA...item2eb9f91699
    Thanks for the pointer Matt.

Andrew

Shooter
    35mm
    He is already make order.
    Last edited by FRANOL; 12-19-2011 at 12:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Franol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin