Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,548   Online: 1124

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the wonderful support and advice!
    I have only been given sketchy information regarding the project but I do know that is divided in phases which start from base data collecting to putting together a whole database. Let's say the project covers -everything- that you can possibly think about a piece of land. Maps, insects, soil, plants, tress, animals and of course general views. It is scientific based but things, such as photos will be also used for publishing coffee table books and guides.
    I don't know what I am to do in detail. I would have liked to shy away from macro work as I have never in my life shot a flower or insect (and never did look at those kind of photos in internet galleries) and concentrate on landscapes.

All the photos will end up digital in the end.
    So, why I don't use a digital camera?

a) Cause I don't have one
    b) Cause I don't want to spend the budget on one (that I will throw away later)
    c) Cause I do have a camera system that will give higher quality photos
    d) Cause like I said I am doing this because I will get to keep the equipment I get and
    that's the only way I can afford Hasselblad gear

Going back to d) the choice of 180 and 17 extension was so I could shoot portraits
    later on (for myself).
    You say to go with the macro-plannar instead?
    Is the quality good for non macro work? Portraits and landscape?
    Should I get a bellows as well? (then I might as well shoot the damn flowers)
    Ok, about the color. I haven't shot color in a while, but my eye and artistic sense is
    very well trained in color so no worries there.

Regarding the vest, I have one left over from the Olympic Games. Unfortunately I only got permission for the cretan stadium, so it was only football, which is quite boring photographically. I did my best and all the photos look like... football photos.
    But I did get to keep the vest which is a very cool souvenir.
    I might buy a new one. First, it is kinda bluish and has that huge PHOTO in the back which would make me look double silly trotting around the landscape. And I am also
    worried that is not very well made, you know, just to last through the Games.

For the backpacks I will have to travel to Athens and even there I am not very convinced that it will be easy to just look around and try them out.
    Mail ordering would have been much easier, but I guess you can never be sure you
    buy the right thing that way.

About the filters, I have them in my mind and will get the highest quality I can find.
    I have some SMC and MC Hoya/Calumet already.

Thanks again and I will keep thinking and changing my mind.
    (just hope I get the stuff soon so I can play with them before)
    Last edited by arigram; 11-01-2004 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ari,

My ex is an archeologist - egyptologist - more specifically, not exactly the same, but similar in that what she needs recorded has a similar process. Anyway, when she goes on a dig, she has a Hassey 503CW and always brings: 50mm CFi, 80mm CFi, 120mm CFi, a Sekonic 508, at least 4 backs of 3 different colours (the colours tell her what film she has inside), PME 45, two Dynalite heads and stands with a couple JackRabbit portable batteries, Proshade 6093T, a very sturdy and heavy Manfrotto tripod with a high end head - I don't know the model number, a LowePro backback, many filters (she often brings several cheap UV filters for each lens since the filters get pretty scratched up in the sand, the shade doesn't really protect the lens and she'll put a UV filter in front of a polarizer to save the latter), plenty of cleaning kits, and she uses Kodak EktaChrome and Agfa Scala films because she needs slides for the university.

I have a 120macro myself and I use it for portraiture a lot. In fact the reason why I bought it was that, when I need to, I could use it for macro photography as well. I haven't used it for that yet!.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin