Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,605   Online: 829

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Reasonable price for a Rolleicord V that needs a shutter overhaul and CLA?

This may be a subjective question, but I have the opportunity to pick up a Rolleicord V while I'm saving for my dream Rollei. The seller is asking $250 but the camera has an intermittent shutter speed problem. I'm assuming it needs to be overhauled (and probably a CLA for the whole thing) The glass is in excellent condition. I don't know tons about these, so I'm wondering if I should be negotiating or not, or if I should even just pass and wait for something else. I'm slightly hesitant since by the time I spend the money on the maintenance, a hood and filters, and replace the focusing screen (provided I decide that the stock one is indeed to dim for me) I'll have spent half the cost of a Rolleiflex 3.5E. But, at the same time, I've read that the 'Cord V is no slouch. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mtngael; 12-13-2011 at 03:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the price is a little high. If you really want a Rolleiflex, save your money and get a Rolleiflex. True the 'cords are great little cameras but you will still be wishing and comparing it to what you really want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think it's a bit expensive too. Although my Rolleicord V was ridiculously cheap at £34 in full working condition!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think $250 is too much. Don't the later 'cords sell for $150-250 fully working? The last Rollei CLA cost me about $135, add that to $250 for a camera you don't intend to keep... seems a bit steep. Spend a little money on a working Rolleicord and save for your 3.5E. Or just keep the 'cord. You would be very hard pressed to see ANY difference in the pictures you take with either one. I have both, I can't see a difference in the pictures. In fact the Rolleicord is lighter, and it's the one I usually grab first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone. My gut told me that it was too high but I wasn't trusting it! Maybe I'll see if I can dicker enough to make it worth it. I wouldn't mind having an eventual spare if the price was right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not buy a broken camera unless I was planning to fix it myself.

Shooter
    35mm
    $250 is way high if it's not fully working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    $250 is way high if it's not fully working.
    Agreed. A fully working 'cord V should not cost more than that and I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a non-fully working 'cord V. Even that might be a bit much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought a 'Flex 2.8D for less than that. It likely needs shutter repair, so consider it to be in the same condition as the 'Cord you're looking at.

The deals are out there, but that ain't one of them.

Good luck!
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Shooter
    35mm
    every Flex is more comfortable to use than a Cord because of the crank and the self cocking shutter. In the 3,5 E you already have a 5-lens Planar or Xenotar and the interchangeable Rollei bright screen whereas the Cord has a dim glas screen. The price is too high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin