Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,655   Online: 875

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

General purpose screen...

Does anyone know the 'part number' for the general purpose, all around, plain Jane, common Hasselblad focusing screen that is normally used with the WLF?

I have been searching all day here, on google, and other forums and I don't know which one it is. There is the normal grid, the fine line grid, the cross hair one, the acute matte one, the split screen one... I'm so confused.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok. Let me rephrase the question....

Which screen numbers are most like the one that I am used to on my Mamiya TLR?

The screen that came on my 500cm seems to be pretty useless without the finder attached. I can't see anything and certainly can't focus. I would assume that I could probably only use it if I were using the magnifier on the WLF. I also assume that I am going to need a different screen in order to use the WLF without the magnifier flipped up.

I can see all the model numbers here: http://www.hasselbladusa.com/product...cessories.aspx However, they do not match with the older model numbers.

Can anyone tell me what kind of screen I currently have, so that I don't purchase something like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	857.8 KB 
ID:	43046

Name:	screen2.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	770.5 KB 
ID:	43047

Name:	screen3.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	953.2 KB 
ID:	43048

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Christopher:

I would be willing to bet that your Mamiya TLR's screen would also be close to useless if you tried to use it without any finder attached .

If I were you I would wait until you have the waist level finder before you decide to replace the screen.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Christopher:

I would be willing to bet that your Mamiya TLR's screen would also be close to useless if you tried to use it without any finder attached .

If I were you I would wait until you have the waist level finder before you decide to replace the screen.

Will a WLF make that much of a difference? I know that the center area on the Mamiya screen is much larger than the one pictured above, and is much easier to use. The split image circle in this one is impossible to use without a magnifier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The finder makes a big difference. I use a grid screen in my C330 with a similarly small split-image circle. If the finder isn't there, you can't really see. With the finder there, it works.

No split-image or other focussing aid will be optimum unless you use the magnifier.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok. I'll wait, the WLF that I bought should be here by the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like you have the split image screen. There is one with a larger microprism grid in the center which may be more like what the Mamiya has. But, as Matt says, you really need the viewfinder hood to accomplish much with any screen. FWIW, when using a WLF camera I often do most of my composing with the magnifier in place, whether the camera is a Hasselblad, Rollei or C330.
    I have some old brochures that will have the model numbers of the older screens, I'm not sure where they are right now, but I'll work on digging one up.
    If the image isn't bright enough for you when you get your finder, you may want to consider one of the acute matte screens, I haven't used one, but lots of people like them and prefer them to the "traditional" screens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the split image finder on my 501 and the mat/grid finder on my C330. I cannot focus with the C330 unless I have both the WLF and magnifier up, but I can with the 501 screen because of the split image. Both are dark unless you use the finder. I like the split image much better and wish the C330 had one too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C330 vs 501C finders.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok Ok Ok.... y'all were right. The WLF makes ALL the difference. You actually CAN see everything nicely. I still dont like the small split screen, but it'll do for now.

Name:	Hassie.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	438.8 KB 
ID:	43163

Name:	Hassie2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	43164

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found my old catalog.
    The standard screen is #42161, split image 42188, Micro-prism grid center #42234, and checked with central grid 42250 (my favorite).

The standard screen is plain with two crosshairs near the center.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin