Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,396   Online: 679

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Tilt-Shift MF???

Here's the deal.. I've been using a YashicaFlex that was lent out to me for a while now and I just (a couple of hours ago) returned it to it's true owner. It actually is very sad.. I grew fond of that little puppy but I couldn't keep her any longer.

So I'm in the market the actually purchase my first MF camera.
    But I've also been working (editing video) with some images that were filmed using a tilt shift and this has been enticing me ever more everyday!

The Question: Is there a tilt-shift MF system out there?
    I know of the hasselblad HTS1.5 (I think that's the name). But does this work with the a 500c/m system? Are there any other options out there or am I gonna have to make the jump straight 4x5 view camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fuji GX680 series sounds like what you want (I hope you like a workout - the thing is big).

I don't know enough to give any other ideas.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    There are loads of medium format cameras with movements.
    Search for medium format view cameras.
    The Rollei SL66 has tilt feature on the lens.
    You can get Tilt lenses for most MF SLRs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's a Hartblei 45mm f3.5 Tilt Shift lens for P6 mount and, via adapters, all 645 systems. Available on Ebay.
    There's a Schneider-Kreuznach PCS Super-Angulon 55mm f4.5 tilt-shift lens for 645 systems, but are very rare.
    There's the Zoerk Multi Focus System, which can be combined with their Pro Shift adapters that allows tilt shifting on medium format using lenses designed for LF (http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_mfs.htm)
    Hasselblad FlexBody and ArcBody are straightforward tilt shift setups for the V system.
    Perhaps one of the most interesting options out there is the Hartblei Cams; you actually use tilt-shift lenses designed for 135 format with medium format backs (including digital backs): http://hartblei.de/en/hartbleicam1.htm

The last one is the one I'd get if I had the money :-) I don't right now, so I content myself with my Hartblei 45/3.5 and Rollei SL66.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    T&S is very often used with wide angle lenses, and a T&S wide angle lens is essentially a super wide angle lens for a larger format. At the same time, the most common MF camera types are not ideal for T&S: that's obvious for view finder cameras, range finder cameras and TLRs, but even SLR cameras make super wide angle lens design very difficult (and costly). Of course there are T&S lenses for MF and small format, but they are quite limited and considered toys by many who used them. I was quite disappointed by the 75mm shift lens for Mamiya RZ when I tried it.

Large format cameras are the ideal camera type for T&S: they don't need a mirror between lens and film plane, so it's moderately easy (and cheap) to make a wide angle lens with large image circle for them, and you have a large ground glass to check and fine tune the camera and lens movements.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Check out also the Mamiya super 23 press camera. It has rangefinder and tilt shift ability with a bellows at the camera's back. I got mine for $120 with a 90mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Check out also the Mamiya super 23 press camera. It has rangefinder and tilt shift ability with a bellows at the camera's back. I got mine for $120 with a 90mm lens.
    Bad choice, IMO. You cannot effectively use the movements with your 90 unless you are doing close-up shots. Only the retractable 100mm f/3.5 can be used with the rear movements. And that is a normal lens (about equivalent to a 43mm on small format). In short, the Super 23's movements are near useless for many (if not most) people's purposes.

If you want tilt/shift most of the time, and don't mind a honking-big camera, I'd suggest the Fuji GX680. It's a medium format 6x8 SLR with some movements.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Bad choice, IMO. You cannot effectively use the movements with your 90 unless you are doing close-up shots. Only the retractable 100mm f/3.5 can be used with the rear movements. And that is a normal lens (about equivalent to a 43mm on small format). In short, the Super 23's movements are near useless for many (if not most) people's purposes.

If you want tilt/shift most of the time, and don't mind a honking-big camera, I'd suggest the Fuji GX680. It's a medium format 6x8 SLR with some movements.
    \

That's wrong. The 90 is also retractable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    \

That's wrong. The 90 is also retractable.
    My mistake. I just confirmed that with my Mamiya Systems Handbook. Not all of them are (none I have had). So that means you get something like a 40mm on small format. The point about them being very limited is still true.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad Flexbody Camera, not cheep in any way but what a system it is. It should be more seen as a view-camera then a MF camera, but were you use MF lenses and film back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin