Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,430   Online: 855

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a strange experience. I bought from an ebay vendor in New York a 250mm lens for my Rolleiflex SL66. It was advertised as "good glass, user condition" and the price seemed reasonable. I paid by paypal and he mailed it to me here in Australia. Before it arrived, he emailed me to say that he objected to paying paypal a commission and would I send a bank cheque? I said I would when I had evidence that the payment was refunded to me.

When the lens arrived it had many small scratches on both the front and recessed rear elements (no caps). I emailed him to complain and I asked if he had taken any photos with it. I didn't get a reply to several emails. I got my refund. He ceased to be an ebay member. I still have the lens which works quite well. He had an unusual ebay id, and it turned out to be an acient biblical name for the devil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very weird indeed, maybe the devil is nice sometimes?

I have never really had a bad experience with buying stuff from eBay and the like, and I buy quite a lot of stuff. My best/worst experience was my Yashica-Mat 124G that supposedly worked according to the ad. Then I get it, and it's in mint condition, just a bit scraped paint on the WLF cover. Then I take a roll with it, and the exposure is a all over the place. I start checking it out, and I notice some fungus on the lens. At this point I'm thinking I got ripped off, but I take it to my repair guy, and he tells me that the reason the exposure is all over the place is because the shutter speed dial doesn't connect to the shutter, a 5 min fix. He then proceeds to fix that, along with cleaning the lens and setting the meter right. It jacked up my purchase price buy 25%, but now I have a perfect looking and working Yashica-Mat.
    Canon F1n / FTb / AE-1P | Yashica Mat-124G | Hasselblad 500C/M | Leica IIIf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best "Sight Unseen" (ebay): A pristine F3HP and MD4 drive. Popped in some batteries and went out shooting. Worst "Sight Unseen" ebay: An F3 with a part-visible display; its accompanying MD4 with enough corrosion in its battery holder to render it non-functional (until replaced with the battery holder from a junker - also (some 6 weeks later) found on ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whoops, did not see the "medium format" header! Insofar as medium format goes, I have no issues: I have only ever either bought new stuff or shopped for used at KEH. And, like most here, I give an unqualified thumbs up to the folks in Smyrna, GA!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Too many use APUG as just another showroom with little or no participation apart from selling.
    It is pretty easy to see who these are - and then just as easy to add them to the ignore list. There is nothing like a well-populated ignore-list/kill-file to improve the quality of one's on-line experience.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Hasselblad 500 C/M purchase on eBay was a mixed bag. The camera was stored in a case in which the foam had deteriorated badly (and both the camera and the case REEKED), the lens had fungus/mold and the shutter speeds were WAY off, so I had to buy a $900+ replacement used lens which works well. The lens cost more than the camera.

On the other hand, the camera body itself cleaned up easily, it has a nice prism finder, the 1974 A12 back matches the 1974 body, and I was able to buy replacement foam for the Zero Halliburton case it came in.

It worked out OK.

ETA: Oh, I forgot: the 500 C/M also came with a Komura Teleconverter which- although I've never used it- looks pristine.
    Last edited by Crashbox; 12-16-2011 at 07:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The biggest problems I have had are with eBay purchases. I only deal with KEH now and APUG people with significant history on the forum. I don't mean selling lots of stuff, I mean actually contributing to threads and helping people. The worst screwing I got was from a former apug member who has been banned. I see this low life on the large format site and rangefinder forum now and again.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of my used camera gear are bought on ebay and i have been very satisfied with 99% of my purchases.
    Today i received two 95mm Heliopan slim filters, a red and a yellow in like new condition. I paid 81$ for both. One of those days you feel like contacting the second highest bidder to say thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up a 65mm lens for my GS-1 from a now closed photography store in the UK (MXV Photographic) which was described as "Good". I called to confirm they had it in stock, and the condition of the glass, which they told me had some slight marks.

I took the plunge as I couldn't pick one up anywhere at the time for a decent price, and waited for the package to arrive.

And yes, it did have some light marks - which cleaned up nicely with some careful cleaning and it's an outstanding lens. Buying site unseen seems to be a given for me these days - used MF gear for my Bronica GS-1 is hard to come by here in BKK and the same can be said for buying in AU.

After nearly 5 years of looking, a 250mm came up about mid-year in AU. It was $100 more than the one I picked up from Keh (including postage); would like to support the local market, but the prices being asked are sometimes unrealistic. . . . .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bid on a 50mm f4.5 PG wide angle for Bronica GS1. I didn't feel to enthusiastic since it was purported to be excelent plus.I ended up with it after forking out $220. When It arrived inside the package in it's original box and warranty was a NEW lens...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin