Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,245   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Site Unseen Purchase - Best and Worst

I purchased a Fuji GW670II camera from Ebay. The camera arrived yesterday and is in magnificent condition. It literally looks new.

On the other hand, previously I purchased a camera from Ebay that was advertised as clean. I open up the film door to find not one but two social security numbers carved in heavy lettering into the metal. I returned the camera and what a surprise, the seller places the camera right back onto Ebay without disclosing the additional details.

Out of any of your used medium format purchases made online, do you have a best and worst story?
    Last edited by Takizawa; 12-16-2011 at 08:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First thought; I don't consider it a wise idea to put SSN on things when not needed. Someone could steal the camera, process the photos, determine where you've been, what you've done, gotten photos of the family for identity theft, and mess with you pretty good.

I don't consider an ID number inside the camera to detract from its clean-ness unless it alters the function or damages film. Outside the camera, yes it should be disclosed.

When I see something I really want, it either has to have excellent thorough photos to describe it if they want a serious bid, or else I'll bid low because of the risk of not knowing exactly what I'd get. I've bought bgn lenses from KEH and forum sellers that seem almost new to me.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    NOS boxed Mamiya RB67 Pro S body+120 back+WLF. Came with warranty card, packaged strap, desiccant gel pac. Unused pro back-up camera. RB/film back seal needed replacement--a 20 minute job--and obviously scared off bidders. Pristine, no miles for $120. Still smilin' about that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    years ago i used to use a mamiya 6iv folder ( old one )
    it broke and i was in need of a folder ...
    so i purchased one from a private party. i can't remember the brand
    but it was "one of good ones" ... the selling page said
    it was in good condition, speeds seemed accurate and would be a great user ...
    and the seller had a return policy so i felt if it wasn't for me, i had no problem ...
    it arrived a few days later, in a box reeking of cigars ( didn't bother me )
    but when i took the camera out of the ever ready case and worked the shutter
    it didn't work. none of the speeds ...
    i took it to a seasoned repair person near me who works on folders
    and lf shutters &c ... and he couldn't access the shutter because it was seized on the camera.
    i contacted the seller with my tale of woe, and asked to return it, seeing it couldn't be repaired
    ( and there was a return policy ) and i was insulted and then my repair person was insulted and then s/he told me i was a PITA
    and it was too much trouble for him/her to go to the post office and send my money ...

i don't usually buy from people i don't know anymore, and i make sure there is a return policy in writing ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never bought anything on Ebay, it has been on KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Based on this ebay picture, this lens was essentially 'sight unseen.' The focal length was not listed and it was somewhat of a mystery lens. For $25 it turned out to be my nicest Yashica ML lens. When it came in the mail it was a like new 28 f2.8 ML with original caps and stickers.
    This is the ebay picture:

Below is the lens as it arrived to me:

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So far I've had no trouble with eBay, but I did gamble last night when I bid and won a black Minolta 7sii that was simply advertised as "good condition". I got it at a significantly lower price than what they usually go for, but whether it works remains to be seen. The pictures looked good, I just hope the camera's not DOA.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mine wasn't ebay, it was here in the classifieds --- it was clearly the worst all around experience i have ever had
    ... and i have been buying off of ebay since the mid 90s, and shutterbug classifieds before that ...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    mine wasn't ebay, it was here in the classifieds --- it was clearly the worst all around experience i have ever had
    ... and i have been buying off of ebay since the mid 90s, and shutterbug classifieds before that ...
    Not impressed by the overall quality of the classifieds here. Junk quotient is too high. Too many use APUG as just another showroom with little or no participation apart from selling.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently bought a camera from Ebay. My favourite Praktica had seized up and I thought maybe I could save money buying a "new" one rather than paying for the repair.
    The seller had taken a few pictures and it looked fine but... first thing I see when I unpack it is a big crack on top, just like someone had dropped it. Seller was clever enough to take pictures from every other angle, where the crack couldn't be seen. Shutter doesn't work and the exposure button is loose, useless.
    One bad seed doesn't stop me though(it's just made me more careful, asking more questions), there are too many good ones out there!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin