Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,126   Online: 967

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Stop wasting film, use the backing paper of a developed roll as your test roll.
    True. It doesn't have to be "film" per se. That's an expensive route to go. And at least around my place there must be a hundred rolls of backing paper laying around.

If you need some to experiment with, drop me a PM and I'll send you a few (dozen) rolls. My wife will love you.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well you see, I've already ruined a roll of film trying to figure this out, so what I've been doing is re using that same roll of film to try out what you guys have been telling me. I appreciate everyones help a lot.

Michaebsc: I tried spinning the film winder with the back open to see if it is engaging the silver rod gear thing and it is definitely spinning. After I close the camera up, it still just spins continuously and the film counter does not move. Also, I'll just keep using this ruined film roll to test it! no need for you to send me any backing paper.

Paul Ron: The door is closing tight, there is resistance from the pin when I push it in, which is obviously normal, I don't see how the pin can go in any farther, so I'm assuming that is probably not the issue?

Dan Daniel: Do you think it is something that can be loosened up? I'm thinking there must be some broken connection between the silver rod (whatever it is called) and the film counter/film winding mechanism.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the pin is pushed in and turning the wheel doesn't make the counter work, the issue is internal with the ratchet n pawl frame stop mechanism.

I think I have some pics of a counter repair I did someplace. I'll search my files n post it for ya. Are you handy?

How much did you pay for it?

Last edited by paul ron; 12-20-2011 at 07:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When you push the silver rod in, do you feel a spring fighting you? I might try pushing the rod in and rolling the gear in the take-up spool area by hand. What happens is that the silver rod and part connects to a plate on which a gear sits (6D-106 reverse lever on Yashica's diagram) When the rod is pushed in, this gear is pushed into contact with the film feeding disk's small gear on the opposite end of the shaft (6D-113-2 on Yahsica's diagrams). So you should be able to feel things changing... Of course, the spring holding the silver rod out is strong and coordinting all of this isn't easy. this is where opening the side makes it all so easy on a D- it's all right there in front of you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like Paul ron is probably right. It seems to make no difference if the pin is pushed in or not. I paid 60 for it, not terrible, but it was described as fully functioning, and I know I could still take pictures, but I do not want to have to guess when I'm at the next frame. I am not that handy Paul but my brother is a mechanical engineer and this stuff comes very natural to him, so I would be interested in seeing those pictures, I am 90% sure that the internal mechanism must be the problem and I sure would like to get this thing fixed up!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Paul;
    Years ago my Dad gave me a non-working Yashica D. Peel the leatherette from around the top of the advance lever. Should be a gear, pawl, and spring, the screw had backed out. Took me about 45 minutes to fix, Steven.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds easy enough Snederhiser, I hope that truly is the problem! I'll let you guys know how things go. My first attempt to fix it will tomorrow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd love some backing paper to experiment with... if you're still offering??

My film counter is not working either and I've already blown through a roll of film. I can see this may be expensive if I don't find an alternative for testing.

Thank you,

Mia
    Tatianamia Photography
    www.tatianamia.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by curlygurl View Post
    I'd love some backing paper to experiment with... if you're still offering??

My film counter is not working either and I've already blown through a roll of film. I can see this may be expensive if I don't find an alternative for testing.

Thank you,

Mia
    Tatianamia Photography
    www.tatianamia.com

Keep using the same roll of film for testing. After running it through, you can roll it backwards. Watch for the end of the film going this direction- it is loose, not taped down. Tuck it back in place. When you get to the other end of the film, where the tape is, the film will often have shifted slightly. Simply undo the tape gently and re-apply.

Running only from beginning to end wil make the START mark consistent. But you can also tape down the end of the film and run it backwards- just guess on a start point and nothing will be hurt.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just remove the film from the backing paper, it's taped on one end. Wind the paper back on the spool n you are good to go.

If you need some more backing paper, I'm sure everyone here can send you their garbage. I just did 5 rolls of film n still have the paper on the floor of my garage where I do my loading.

Measure the start arrow and mark the end of the roll the same so it'll start about the same place each time you load backwards or forwards.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin