Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,760   Posts: 1,484,018   Online: 1265

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Broken Film Counter -Yashica D

Hey guys,

I just purchased a Yashica D off of ebay. I noticed that the mirror and focusing screens were very dirty so I got that clean. Now that I've loaded it with film, I have realized that the film winder does not stop, and the film counter is not changing. I have now removed the film, and tried turning the metal bent spool (not sure what it is called), and numbers are not changing.

Any ideas? I may just end up selling this to someone who can fix it, or use it as parts. I was quite excited for this camera, and not happy how everything is turning out, but I guess thats the risk buying off ebay.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try google-Yashica D-repair manual

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Was it sold as 'not working'? Were there representations in thel isting that it was a working camera? If someone says 'working' and 'no returns,' it needs to be working. I'd contact seller.

The counter will not work, period, with the back open. The silver pin on the right side needs to be depressed for the counter to engage.

I would jiggle that pin a bit, put a spool in the top chamber, and keep trying. With the back closed, a spool in the top chamber will make the camera think that it is loaded and will show you if it is working (it may be rough winding because of the ridges in the spool- no harm).

What's the lens, by the way? Yashikor or Yashinon?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a silver rod with a gear on the end of it that rests on the film spool. That may be bent and not riding on the film properly to activate the counter mechanism.

If you say the wheel does count as you turn it then the other common problem is the small tab that gets pushed in on the door edge, it may be stuck or not hitting the edge properly. That tab resets the counter to zero (S) when the door is opened.

Hope this helps.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to clarify things for you guys, it was sold as working, but sold "as-is" (he said the focusing screen was dusty, which it was, as well as the mirror). I have contacted the seller, but the amount of money to ship it back isn't worth it anyways. I checked the pin on the right side, and it moves in and out fine. I put a spool in the top chamber, and even a now ruined roll of film to see if I can make the counter work. I have also spun the silver rod with a gear (although I did this with the camera open). I just can get no movement in the film counter at all.

My brother is a mechanical engineer, so I've sent him the repair manuals and we may try to tinker with it when I see him for xmas, but I obviously wish there was an easier fix to this.

Shooter
    35mm
    and it is a yashikor, not a yashinon

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a Yashica D that the film counter would get stuck mid roll. When it got stuck you could see skid marks in the paper part of the film roll caused by the metal roller. I sent it in for a CLA. The problem turned out to be old dried out lube in the film counter mechanism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljames84 View Post
    and it is a yashikor, not a yashinon
    The yashikor is a decent lens. Don't let that put you off. I have both, and you have to pay very close attention to tell the difference unless you're making large enlargements. And even then the Yashikor has a pleasing bokah. It is a very nice triplet. I don't know why people question it so.

When the back is open and the pin is released the counter resets to zero, so the door absolutely must be closed. It's sort of like opening a 35mm.

And the wheel digging into the backing paper is what turns the counter, you absolutely must have film.

And the take up spool MUST be snapped into the button on the left properly or it won't give enough pressure to engage the toothed wheeled. Make sure the spool is held firm. The prongs must be engaged on the spool properly.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Stop wasting film, use the backing paper of a developed roll as your test roll.

The pin has to be pushed in as you try the rod n wheel thingie.

Check that the door is hitting the pin on the edge amnd making it go in far enough, common problem. Also, is the door locking all the way when screwed down or are the seals keeping it from shutting properly?... Another common DIYer mistake using the wrong material for seals.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Put some masking tape around the end of the spool and place that end on the silver gear (left side) in the take up area. Now this will work fine without the bouncing from a grooved spool. No need for backing paper or such for testing.

The D mechanism is pretty simple. If exercise won't loosen it up, the hardest part is going to be getting the leatherette off. And remember, the leatherette is not for light-proofing, so using the camera without it is fine (Grip-Tac from cameraleather.com is a great material for TLRs).

Yashikor or Yashinon, I only asked in case you were going to sell it Yashikor is a very nice lens, the D is a great TLR- simple but solid nd nice quality. I hope you get it working and have some fun with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin