Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,254   Online: 1003

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    On a tripod it is easy to compensate for verticals while using a WLF. With the camera in portrait orientation, stand to the side of the camera, facing it. Hold a small mirror like a makeup mirror to the WLF, angled at a 45 degree angle, and look down at it to view the screen. The image will be right side up and correct left to right.
    Ha! I never carry a make-up mirror with me in the field, though... How do you do fine focusing for close-up portraits or other objects that are not stationary?

I'm sure there are great ways of focusing a 645 SLR, swapping between horizontal and vertical composition while on tripod, and for some it might be worthwhile to do this. Personally, I'm much happier with the square negative. The camera stays put, on a tripod with a built-in ball joint with just minor adjustments to level the camera. It's just easier and more intuitive for me to set it up that way.

If it were my recommendation to Ted, whom I know does a lot of portrait work, it would make total sense to use the Mamiya 645, Hasselblad, or whatever camera he is contemplating, on at least one job before deciding what to get. That's the gist of what I'm saying. Some might find a 645 SLR easy to work with. I did not find it intuitive to use at all, while the Hasselblad feels like an extension of my arms, ergonomically great, and with controls in places that work well for me - especially when I hand hold it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do fine focusing by having a big ol' microprism spot in the middle of the screen. The makeup mirror I use is about the same size as the screen and came with a soft pouch, so is very easy to carry. It took some work to talk a girlfriend out of it, I tells ya. It works surprisingly well--quick and easy.

None of that negates your reason for choosing 6X6. It's a common reason, and a good one.
    Square format also enables easy use of a simple tilt-pan head, which can save a little weight over a 3-way.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    On a tripod it is easy to compensate for verticals while using a WLF. With the camera in portrait orientation, stand to the side of the camera, facing it. Hold a small mirror like a makeup mirror to the WLF, angled at a 45 degree angle, and look down at it to view the screen. The image will be right side up and correct left to right.
    That tops any argument I could make for using a prism finder on a 645!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Well, so I don't have to carry more than 1 camera?

And, Why would I let the camera in hand dictate the final composition/crop? (as long as I only crop one way.)
    You could for instance carry a A16 back for 6x4.5 and A12 for 6x6...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pekelnik View Post
    You could for instance carry a A16 back for 6x4.5 and A12 for 6x6...
    You are right I could carry it but still, it's more stuff to worry about and to find pockets for and the weight adds up and if you are in a hurry to shoot ....

As we used to say in street racing "run what ya brung". No switching cars, gears, tires. The opportunity to race was a now or never, put up or shut up, no excuses, offer.

As to wasting film, i'll bet we all normally "waste" a lot more film in general shooting, than we ever do in cropping, and if we grab an opportunity and crop instead of grabbing a different back and missing, who wins?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Get an F4 and a 50 1.8 for S&G and a hassy with the leftover cash.

Don't bother with 645, it's a stupid format, you'd be better off with a superior 35mm camera that a slow 645 camera.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin