Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,728   Posts: 1,515,218   Online: 960

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleiflex & cable release - Did the shutter actually fire?

So last night I was out taking some long exposures using me Rollei and a cable release. As I was packing up and unscrewing the cable release from the camera I noticed that I had left the locking mechanism in place and began to think that none of my shots would turn out because the shutter never fired. Now I'm leaning towards thinking that the shutter did actually fire because I was able to advance the film after each shot and I heard some clicking going on as I engaged and disengaged the cable release. Normally I would notice right away that the shutter release was locked because I wouldn't be able to press the button down but I never noticed since I was using the cable release and it seemed to be engaging the shutter.

Anyways, could someone shed some light on this issue? Do you think that the shutter still fired or did I freeze my a$$ off last night for nothing!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just checked my F and found the cable release still trips the shutter even with the lock on. What do you know. Wouldn't have thought so.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Checked my Rolleiflex 3.5 MX-EVS (3.5A for europeans) - same thing there - shutter fires with a cable release when the shutter lock is on.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome! Thanks guys

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a pin internal to the shutter release. You can see it looking down into the cable release socket. This pin pushes on the same lever as the full shutter release barrel does. The lock mechanism captures only the larger piece, while the pin is still captured but loose inside the barrel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pryan9 View Post
    Now I'm leaning towards thinking that the shutter did actually fire because I was able to advance the film after each shot
    I don't think you would have been able to wind on if the shutter didn't fire.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't think you would have been able to wind on if the shutter didn't fire.

Steve.
    This is what made me think I was in the clear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can confirm that the shutter release cable will work even with lock on, for both my Rollei 2.8F TLR and SL66. In fact, I remembered reading online from several places, whenever using a release cable, the lock must be on, for the SL66, at least. Doing otherwise may damage the transport mechanism for the SL66. One example is here http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=345230

The advice may or may not be applicable to the Rollei TLR, but I always follow it even when using my 2.8f nonetheless.
    Last edited by chioque; 12-21-2011 at 06:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Checked my Rolleiflex 3.5 MX-EVS (3.5A for europeans) - same thing there - shutter fires with a cable release when the shutter lock is on.
    Isn't it 3.5 B ? I always thought mine was a B...
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Isn't it 3.5 B ? I always thought mine was a B...
    Mea culpa... As far as I understand, you're right.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin