Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,258   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can I use Nikon SB800 flash with Mamiya 645 Pro TL

Hi

Further to http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/8...600-flash.html and my previous thread about Hasselblads (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/9...hic-fun-5.html), I am considering buying a Mamiya 645 Pro TL + 80mm F2.8 + Prism + Grip + Back that I have seen on eBay.

Before I do, can I ask how one operates a flash with such a camera. I have a Nikon SB-800. Can I use that with it? If so, how, and what are the limitations? All the clips I see on YouTube show the camera used either without a flash or hooked up to studio probes. I have no such lighting (just the SB800) and I like to use flash at -1 EV to put a bit of light in the eyes of my subjects.

Ta

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but not with any sort of in-camera metering for auto flash. If I read the info correctly about your flash, it has a built-in flash sensor, so it should work the same as something like a Vivitar 283.

And you will need to have some way to trigger the flash. If the grip is one of the Mamiya left-hand grips with the hot shoe and you have the right connector, you can use the hot shoe on that grip. Otherwise, you need something that will hook up to the PC socket on the camera.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here's what Mamiya's US distributor says:

Q. Which flash works best with my 645 PRO or PRO TL?

A. The PRO TL will work with almost any flash sold. Purchase one that suits your type of photography and budget. If you wish through the lens metering (PRO TL only), purchase one of the Metz or Quantum units along with the appropriate module(s). If you are using a flash designed for another brand of camera, make sure that you have it set in a "manual" or "auto" mode. Never use it in "program" or "TTL" modes, since you may damage the flash and/or the camera. If uncertain, consult the flash’s manufacturer.

http://www.mamiya-usa.com/customer-s...45-pro-tl.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no knowledge on Mamiya, but I used sb-800 with a slave sb-600 on a pentax 6x7. I can't think of anything why you can't use it too.
    I used the flashes with pc-cord (a very long one) sometimes with an additional optical trigger.
    You can't use Nikon TTL or similar Nikon related features. But the rest worked for me. I usually set manual EV and take a snapshot with the digital and go on shooting.

Oh, and btw I used sb-800 with lubitel cameras with a pc cord. I assume it will work with any camera as long as there is a pc-cord connection.
    Last edited by Herzeleid; 12-21-2011 at 01:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Holy smoke...those Quantum flashes are pricey! The Metz one's seem a bit cheaper but still quite pricey. This MF business is not for the poor is it!!?
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    Holy smoke...those Quantum flashes are pricey! The Metz one's seem a bit cheaper but still quite pricey. This MF business is not for the poor is it!!?
    Ted:

You don't need TTl, "controlled by the camera" flashes - millions and millions of successful flash exposures have been done on MF without that feature.

The "auto" functions built into your flash itself will probably provide you with most of the "auto" you will need.

The only place I really appreciate having TTl flash capability is when I shoot close-focus/macro subjects, and I only have that available in 35mm - for MF I just need to use a flash meter and do more "figuring".

By the way, while there are no apparent problems with your flash, there are some flashes out there that only work with the cameras they are dedicated to - they have no manual flash options except those set by the camera. They are to be avoided.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't believe that the SB 800 has a pc cord socket, but you can get a hot shoe that fits under the hotshoe that has connectors from Flashzebra.com. I got one for around $ 15 a few weeks ago. It was made in India and is of very good quality.

DaveO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
    I don't believe that the SB 800 has a pc cord socket, but you can get a hot shoe that fits under the hotshoe that has connectors from Flashzebra.com. I got one for around $ 15 a few weeks ago. It was made in India and is of very good quality.

DaveO
    The SB800 definitely has a PC socket. I've got this very flash unit and can confirm it does. Also: http://shashinki.com/blog/wp-content...9/kkk_4096.JPG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. You cannot use all the features, but you will have all the features that you will need.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ted, I got here a little late. If you haven't purchased anything yet and want to keep it cheap and simple then go to the "bay" and start looking for an older Metz 45 or 60.....I have both versions and operate them easily in the automatic mode with my plain 645Pro with superior results. The older ones still work well and are cheap....no reason to go new unless you want the TTL advantage (and you could still find semi old one and purchase the right adapter to make it work). Also used the old potato masher Canon 533G and 577G with the 645, also with excellent results.

There are very low cost options here if you want massive lighting ability, although certainly nothing wrong with your SB800 in auto or manual.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin