Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,584,988   Online: 1114

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, my 2 cents. I have a Bronica SQ, a Yashica 124 G and a Rolleiflex T. I am selling the Bronica. Yes, it's a very good system but as I also shoot 4x5, the Bronica needs a tripod outdoor and not so easy to use. I prefer TLR medium camera. I can shoot documentary street view, landscape, portrait and so on. It's for me more on 35mm side. Bronica and Hassy(I had one long ago) are more on large format side for my photgraphy practice. For the lens quality, I suppose that the Planar are better corner cripness than the Tessar formula lens of the Yashica or the Rollei T but I prefer spend my money in film and paper than in overestimated body camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    People react differently to different cameras. TLRs seem to get ignored or smiles. SLRs are more noticed, sometimes more threatening, sometimes confused for video cameras these days. The important thing, as mentioned again and gain, is your comfort, though. If the Yashica is doing it for you, and all you want is a slightly better lens and a more solid mechanism in the same form, Rollei it is.

By the way, look hard at the f/3.5 Rollei Planars or Xenotars. That half stop loses you little in practical use. I have a 2.8C, and I can't remember the last time I used f/2.8. The 3.5s are cheaper, the lens is as good. And to save more money, go for the Xenotar- 'the same' quality (some will debate) but less status and hence less money. An E series is also a bit cheaper than an F series with little or no lose.

For either Hassy or Rollei, condition is as important as anything else. Look into maintenance needs and what an overhaul can cost and include that number in your figuring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Hassy can be pricey, The Rollei is more handholdabe

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by teepoe View Post
    I do a lot of shooting on the street and casually at parties and such.
    rollei..., look at the work of http://www.vivianmaier.com/ she also used a rollei, i worked for years with a rollei but now i work with hasselblad, i love the 120mm macro and 250mm, the photo's i make with these lenses i can't make with the rollei, hasselblad and rollei are two different unique camera's,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have any experience with the Rollei, since I'm not a huge TLR fan, but once you get used to the Hassy I find it's easy enough to use for everyday use, and I generally use it for snapshots of my friends, out on the street, etc. I rarely get comments about the camera if people notice it at all, and usually ambient noise is so loud the mirror slap isn't an issue. If people do pay attention to it, I use it to my advantage to get a nice posed picture or people ignore it after the first one or two shots.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    What I like about this thread is that I suddenly discover I am not the last grumpy old man who likes his Rolleis - Makes me feel good on Christmas morning

My favourite is my Widie, 55mm for a 120 format snapshot camera is perfect - Mine is battered by years of use but still works beautifully - When I was a young press photographer for a small newspaper several photographers started using Yashicas and threw them away every year for a new one, like Ford cars - Those of us who used Rolleis kept them working forever, like Volvos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by teepoe View Post
    It seems to me that they are both around 1000 dollars US, and I am saving for a new MF camera. I got a Yashica 124 G to explore the medium and I love it. It's all I shoot anymore. So...time to make a big investment and get one of the classic heavy hitters. I will get a waist level finder with either and plan on using an 80mm 2.8 with the Hassy. I do a lot of shooting on the street and casually at parties and such. I have a meter, so I don't need a metered prism or one that works on the Rollei. Any tips before I blow a ton of cash on a camera that I hope to have for the rest of my life ??
    Well, I think this is like comparing apples to oranges. The only common denominator between the two cameras is the film size.
    So, is it the medium of 120 you love or the twin lens you love? You first should decide if you simply prefer a TLR or SLR design in the tool you wish to use. As others have noted, one is a basic high quality camera with a couple of accessories and the other is a major system of components. That's a huge difference! If you are only going to be using an 80mm and taking casual street shots and a candid portrait or two then the Rollei would be a nice choice. But, if you want your investment to be diverse in it's abilities to meet your present and future needs then there is no question Hasselblad or Rollei SLR is the way to go.

I disagree with others regarding the Rollei lenses however. If you go Rollei TLR track down the 2.8 Planar and shoot it wide open for some beautiful portrait results and the speed and simplicity of use can be a nice advantage at times. But, I find the Hasselblad with Acute-Matte split image screen (like the 42170) faster to focus and properly frame. I own a Rolleiflex 2.8 Planar and a couple Blads with a lens inventory from 50 to 500 and I can tell you that in virtually most cases the Hasselblad is what I reach for first. Rollei is in it's display case adorned with it's mirrored lens cap which is gorgeous to look at. But, at the same time I have made some outstanding images with the Rollei and I also just enjoy using it, but it simply does not have the system diversity that is very important to me. You can't go wrong with either camera, both are beautiful photographic tools that anyone would be very satisfied to own and use. It's really just a matter of diversity and feel between the two. Good luck with your decision.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow. such good advice and stuff to think about. This far exceeds my expectation for this humble thread It sounds like maybe the Rollei will fit my needs better, but I am gonna try and borrow a Hassy from a friend and shoot a few rolls to get a feel for it before I decide. Cheers, everyone!

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Trying the Hassy is a good decision in fact try to handle as many different cameras as possible maybe you'll feel more comfortable with another camera say a Rollei Slr,Bronica or a Mamiya, etc.. the feel is more important than some supposed mystical qualities that some cameras have.

Good Luck

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    One thing you can do with the Rolleiflex when you go to a parade or are in a crowd, is hold it over your head and look up into the finder and take a picture. You can't do that with the Hassy. I believe it was designed to do this so that in trench warfare in WWI you would only expose your arms to take a picture instead of your upper body.

DaveO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin