Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,301   Online: 943

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can't do that with the Hassy
    Why not?

Actually, I've done it many times with both.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
    One thing you can do with the Rolleiflex when you go to a parade or are in a crowd, is hold it over your head and look up into the finder and take a picture. You can't do that with the Hassy. I believe it was designed to do this so that in trench warfare in WWI you would only expose your arms to take a picture instead of your upper body.

DaveO
    "Rollei is a German manufacturer of optical goods founded in 1920 by Paul Franke and Reinhold Heidecke in Braunschweig, Lower Saxony..."
    "...1928 saw the production of the first ten prototypes of the legendary twin-lens Rolleiflex..."

"...World War I was a major war centred in Europe that began on 28 July 1914 and lasted until 11 November 1918..."

Maybe another manufacturer was using the periscope idea during the Great War?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If your subject area is parties , you will be not comfortable with twin lens. At close range , what you see is not what you get.
    Other matter , Rollei stopped its production , no more parts available. You will be needed to pay great or will not be possible to new parts.
    If you are in crowded club and drop the camera , you can build the hasselblad from components one by one but rollei goes to trash.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    "Rollei is a German manufacturer of optical goods founded in 1920 by Paul Franke and Reinhold Heidecke in Braunschweig, Lower Saxony..."
    "...1928 saw the production of the first ten prototypes of the legendary twin-lens Rolleiflex..."

"...World War I was a major war centred in Europe that began on 28 July 1914 and lasted until 11 November 1918..."

Maybe another manufacturer was using the periscope idea during the Great War?
    I just looked up tlr's on Wikipedia. Rollei was in the 1920's but twin lens reflexes date back to 1870. It may not be a Rollei but an un-named TLR'.

DaveO

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
    I just looked up tlr's on Wikipedia. Rollei was in the 1920's but twin lens reflexes date back to 1870. It may not be a Rollei but an un-named TLR'.

DaveO
    Interesting. Thanks! I was under the impression that Rollei 'invented' the TLR design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think a 3.5 Rollei is the way to go -- lighter than the 2.8s but yields nothing in terms of image quality. But I agree with others' comments that the Yashicamat produces really excellent results. I do understand, though, if you want to go with one of the top shelf brands, and get one of the fancier lenses along the way.

Hasselblads are surprisingly lightweight and decently compact. But they're definitely heavier than a Rolleiflex, and not as compact. And they're much noisier (thwoop!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I don't think you will find much difference between the Yashica and Rollei TLR lenses.
    The Yashica lens is a Tessar type, isn't it? Not to diminish the many virtues of the Tessar, but a Planar or Xenotar should smoke it like the proverbial cheap cigar.

Never having shot a Hasselblad, I won't try to make comparisons between the two very good options, except to say it's clear that both are capable of being the camera of a lifetime, and the grounds for choice between them are more personal than universal. You might be able to rent one or both for a tryout.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if I would trust Wikipedia for information that was very important, but they are usually pretty good. They did not tell the brand of TLR that was made in 1870.

DaveO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin