Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,934   Online: 830

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad 500cm VS Rollei 2.8

It seems to me that they are both around 1000 dollars US, and I am saving for a new MF camera. I got a Yashica 124 G to explore the medium and I love it. It's all I shoot anymore. So...time to make a big investment and get one of the classic heavy hitters. I will get a waist level finder with either and plan on using an 80mm 2.8 with the Hassy. I do a lot of shooting on the street and casually at parties and such. I have a meter, so I don't need a metered prism or one that works on the Rollei. Any tips before I blow a ton of cash on a camera that I hope to have for the rest of my life ??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only camera you will ever need???

The Rollei will be easier to handhold with slow shutter speeds as it has no moving mirror. You also don't get viewfinder blackout on the exposure. So it can be a great street/people/party camera. It is also lighter and smaller and quieter.

The Hasselblad will allow you to change lenses for when you want a wide or telephoto. You can also get spare or different back for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're talking about at Rolleiflex, ie a TLR, then your commitment more or less stops at the first purchase, give or take an accessory or two. With the Hasselblad no doubt you'll be tempted to buy more lenses, more backs, more finders etc., all of which will cost you a fortune. So you'll need to take that into account as well as the respective costs of maintenance. Given the type of photography you do, if it were me I'd go for the Rollei.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think you will find much difference between the Yashica and Rollei TLR lenses. The reason to get the Rollei would be:
    1) More rugged, more metal, less plastic (heavier though)
    2) Accepts prism
    3) Rolleifix makes it much easier to get on a tripod. 124G's feet make tripod mount difficult or dangerous.
    4) Focus screens interchange much easier
    5) Accepts glass panel if you want (but you probably won't want it)
    6) Nice pistol grip, also mounts various brackets for flash
    7) You can focus when using the sports finder
    8) Cool DOF indicator (F series)
    9) Multi exposure capacity
    10) Accepts rolleikin (35mm film)
    11) Optional rangefinder for the sports finder (Rolleimeter)
    12) Strap comes on and off easier
    13) Spool locking knobs don't have to be twisted to stay out for loading/unloading
    14) Automatic film-start sensing
    15) Incident diffuser option on meter

If you don't need any of that stuff, just stay with the Yashica.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 12-23-2011 at 08:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    16 ) More lenses available (Mutar 0.7 and 1.5)
    17) Close up lenses available which correct parallax
    18) The Planar lens is sharper when wide open
    19) It is possible to buy new (not used) filters for it
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Let your fingers do the thinking

It is very much a matter of feel, I grew up with Rolleis, 80, 55, 135mm lenses and still have them and they are not for sale

For commercial studio work where 5x4" was too slow I bought a Hasselblad kit, followed by lots of "I need" lenses, ext'n tubes, viewfinders etc all of which were very not cheap in those days - The whole lot, including my SWC is now up for sale - The Rolleis never

I recommend the Rollei, but that is personal and many would suggest the Hbd - Feel them both and give the matter serious consideration before you spend your money

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rollei.

But it really depends, SLR vs TLR is a very personal. You arleady have a TLR so maybe you should try an MF SLR next, like a Bronica SQ. Not as nice as a Hasselblad but they're dirt cheap in comparison. I just got a kit that came with 2 lenses, 2 backs, a WLF, a prism finder, pistal grip, and some other misc items for $370/shipped. I got it because I wanted to try a MF SLR before commiting myself to a 'Blad.

I like TLRs and SLRs, but I think I prefer TLRs, so my next camera is probably going to be a Rollei.
    Last edited by msbarnes; 12-24-2011 at 03:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Assuming you already have used both a SLR and a TLR (your 124g), if you like the TLR, get the TLR. It's all about what works for you. TLRs make great party cameras - 2.8 is fast, the TLR is stable (i.e. slow shutter speeds possible), and people relax a lot more around TLRs vs SLRs.

Of course, IMO the SLR is a better general purpose camera, but if you like a TLR get what you like, otherwise you'll regret it. Both have excellent glass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went Hasselblad because I need different lenses for my architectural and landscape work. If an 80mm is all you'll ever need, a Rollei is better because its lighter, easier to focus (my opinion), and easier to handhold. Rollei did make a wide version with a 50mm lens and a tele version with a 135mm lens, but they're rare and VERY expensive...much more so than the equivilent lenses for a Hasselblad.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think it might also come down to portability vs. flexibility. The Hasselblad will offer more flexibility, while the Rolleiflex will offer portability. The 2.8 Rolleiflex is not a lightweight camera, but you also don't have the isssue of backs and lenses.

And I agree with others who say to try both the Hasselblad, if you can, because you'll know rather quickly if it "feels right" in your hands.

My personal thoughts are that while I love a TLR, there's nothing like an interchangeable lens system. I have the big Rolleiflex SL 66.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin