Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,672   Online: 866

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I keep my leica's and all lenses stored in a velvet lined platinume lock box in a climate controlled fully monitored and patrolled vault in Zurich. Have yet to have a problem.
    Hey, that might be worth considering.... Right now, I keep an M6 body with a 50mm in the glovebox of my beater Civic (year round). Given that it rains here a lot, maybe I should consider something more in the camera's interest. The remainder of my Leica stuff (another M6 body with 35, 50 and 90mm lenses) sits in a cardboard box on the floor of a closet in the basement, suffering no end of abuse, exposed to heat and cold, fluctuations in humidity, all the while collecting copious quantities of dust and dirt, until I see fit to take them out and use them...every couple of months or so when I have the time and inclination to go out shooting... My Hasselblads, in turn, are stored in a backpack in whatever condition I happen to leave them in after I return home after a trek through the woods or wherever I happen to have been shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I keep my leica's and all lenses stored in a velvet lined platinume lock box in a climate controlled fully monitored and patrolled vault in Zurich. Have yet to have a problem.
    Say hi to the gnomes for me
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    COCK
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I presume that an RB Mamiya should be stored cocked too? I stored it for a number of years, and its without a problem I might add. Nobody ever told me to store it cocked, unless its different to a hasselblad in that regard. So I was probably doing the wrong thing?

I like this site, I pick up little bits of information here and there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cocked or un-cocked doesn't really matter with any shutter as the spring is in tension in either case. i.e. it is still in tension when un-cocked as the mechanism only uses a small portion of the spring's movement to actuate.

As most camera systems need the lenses to be cocked for removal and re-mounting, it seems logical to keep them cocked.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a quick excursion to the mentioned Mamiya system. In the instructions for RZ interchangeable lenses, point 6 is written:

"If a lens is not to be used for a prolonged period, we recommend storing it with the shutter released. To release the shutter of a lens that has been removed from the camera body,..."

This is indeed for the Mamiya RZ lenses only.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chambers View Post
    Just a quick excursion to the mentioned Mamiya system. In the instructions for RZ interchangeable lenses, point 6 is written:

"If a lens is not to be used for a prolonged period, we recommend storing it with the shutter released. To release the shutter of a lens that has been removed from the camera body,..."

Does it hint at what "prolonged" constitutes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chambers View Post

Yes, but the Hasselblad lenses are specifically designed to be stored in the cocked position. Mamiya does not use the same design criteria, that is the difference.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Does it hint at what "prolonged" constitutes?
    Nope, no hint is given. I guess it might be more than a month or longer... But I have a 110/2.8 which was stored about 10 years cocked and it works perfect. Its shutter tension is very, very soft compared to uncocked stored lenses but as said, it works perfect.

And yes, of course it's different to Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats interesting to know, blad's cocked and mamiya's uncocked. Ha. - If I ever decide to blow money on a blad as well. *shrugs* ... Was contemplating, thats all.

Its an RB I have. My 'prolonged period' was like 6 years. Stored in a huge lowepro bag with silica gel uncocked with the lens on the body.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin