Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,595   Online: 712

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually .....

In normal use, the shutters in the Mamiya RB/RZ lenses are intended to be left tensioned between uses, so the suggestion to release the tension for long term storage is interesting, and clearly differentiated from the "norm".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had a similar this discussion with Hasselblad's optical engineer. For reference his initials were E. P. It is not appropriate to supply his name. He was responsible for the glass and mechanical lens parts. He recommended low humidity to avoid growth <35%. The shutter should be stored uncocked since this puts less stress on the main spring. If removed from the camera use a coin to slow down the unwinding of the shutter mechanism. (Hold a coin in the slot then trip the lens by pushing the protected release on the back of the lens.) Store at 1 second since this is also a less stressed position.

To keep the shutter parts lubricated, activate the lens at least once a year at a variety of speeds. Also, rotate the focusing ring through the range. Storing at a variety of orientations keeps the lubricate from building up in one place.

To reinstall on the camera body, carefully wind the lens with the coin. Be careful not to let the coin slip.

The camera leaves the lens cocked in order to provide a user feature. The lenses can standup to this use but it may not be ideal for long term storage.

It is still best to use it!
    Last edited by laser; 01-01-2012 at 09:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Yes, but the Hasselblad lenses are specifically designed to be stored in the cocked position. Mamiya does not use the same design criteria, that is the difference.
    But they both use springs and in either case, a cocked spring probably only has 10% to 20% more tension than an un-cocked spring.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my Hasselblads and could hardly imagine to use anything else but if I had to take care about the orientation I store them in, I'd switch to Mamiya.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde View Post
    if I had to take care about the orientation I store them in, I'd switch to Mamiya.
    I can't think of any piece of mechanical equipment which could be damaged by storing it the wrong way round!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I can't think of any piece of mechanical equipment which could be damaged by storing it the wrong way round!

Steve.
    Is there a right way round? If so, it is news to me. I just stated that I store them vertically because that is they way they fit in the camera bag. By the way, the bases are down because I have the lens hood attached on some of the lenses.

also a Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    also a Steve
    I think the other Steve is referring to mechanical things like scissors machine shop equipment, not necessarily lenses. I agree with him in principle that most mechanical things are fairly impervious to storage orientation... unless there are affiliated issues like leakage of fuel or oil lubricant. Polaroid film was an exception (although some might think it too simple to be considered "mechanical") because if stored on end the chemical reagent would pool to one side and not spread right. In that case storing flat, as indicated on the box, was rather inportant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. I store mine verticlly, with hood and caps on... seated on their rear caps. Seems very appropriate and since my camera bag is a bit tight I can grab the hoods to pull the lenses out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    p.s. I store mine verticlly, with hood and caps on... seated on their rear caps. Seems very appropriate and since my camera bag is a bit tight I can grab the hoods to pull the lenses out.
    Obviously you are a very wise man, in spite of what xldude says about you.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Obviously you are a very wise man, in spite of what xldude says about you.
    Just who is this xldude of whom you speak? Anyone who knows me knows I don't xl much.

I of course have always considered Brian to be wise just like me. Wise-ass, that is. I think he is a person of good humor, though I understand he is a little short with his wife.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin