Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,936   Online: 842

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

storing Hasselblad lens - upright or horizontal?

I have my lens resting on shelves in my office, dry and sunny. Most concerned about fungus not that it is risky in the environment I have them in but is it better to let them rest horizontally with the lens cap off so light will be on them during the daytime? I have usually have the lens upright, resting on the rear lens cap and with the front lens cap on so dust doesn't settle on them.

My main concern is that having the front lens cap on makes fungus more likely and I don't know if storing the lens horizontally does anything to the shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I store mine cocked, cappedand, on end in lenses wraps in camera back pack.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Try using it.

I keep mine capped and stored front-end down in a canvas camera bag. This makes the lenses easier to grab and use in the field, and keeps the working mechanical parts of the lenses facing up so they won't be damaged should I drop the bag. The camera bag is kept on an open shelf in my "office," which is in a pretty typical American house. It's heated and dry in the winter and dry in the summer. There's no mold on the walls, so I don't worry about the lenses. If you're worried about humidity, keep your lenses in a sealed tub with some reusable silica gel packets. Bake the packets every so often to "recharge" them.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even more important for a long time storing as upright or horizontal seems to me to unlock the shutter. As Mamiya recommend uncocked storing of lenses, this might be an issue for Hasselblad too (but I guess it by knowing Mamiya's recommendation and don't know it in detail for Hasselblad). On Mamiya lenses uncocking is simple, it looks like on Hasselblad system it's more complicated and you need a special key for camera and / or lenses. But if you store long time you might have a look on this question and get more informations about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hasselblad's recomendation is that the shutter remain cocked.

For me, storing lenses capped in a camera bag has never been a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep my leica's and all lenses stored in a velvet lined platinume lock box in a climate controlled fully monitored and patrolled vault in Zurich. Have yet to have a problem.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I keep my leica's and all lenses stored in a velvet lined platinume lock box in a climate controlled fully monitored and patrolled vault in Zurich. Have yet to have a problem.
    How Should The 99% Store Their Equipment ?

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Invariably, someone has to jump in with their Leica and I wanted to know how it felt. In all honesty, I don't own a Leica. All of the lenses that I use on a regular basis are in my closet with no air vent stored laying down in a bambo/fabric shoe caddy that hangs from the clothes rack. Those that are specialty lenses get stored laying down in an engineers case on an inside wall away from any vents. I treat my equipment as I treat my guitars and that is to keep them away from high humidity and wild swings in temperature. Not always possible when shooting in the winter.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chambers View Post
    Even more important for a long time storing as upright or horizontal seems to me to unlock the shutter. As Mamiya recommend uncocked storing of lenses, this might be an issue for Hasselblad too (but I guess it by knowing Mamiya's recommendation and don't know it in detail for Hasselblad)..
    Hasselblad's recomendation is that the shutter remain cocked.
    Hasselblads were designed to be stored cocked. Furthermore, a cocked lens can be safely put on or taken off a cocked body. If either a lens or body is not cocked, attaching or detatching will damage both on the first attempt.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin