Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,700   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Using Mamiya Extension Tubes...

Hi,

When I purchased a Mamiya 654 Pro last year, three extension tubes were included. They're marked (from shortest to longest): No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3-S. I am not familiar with the use of extension tubes, but am interested in using them to allow closer focusing with some of my lenses (80mm 1.9, 110mm, and 150mm).

Is each lens ideally matched with one particular extension tube? Will the longer extension tubes allow closer focusing than the shorter ones? Are certain tubes incompatible with certain lenses?

Thanks for any help with this.

Dale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The tubes can be used with any lens that'd fit the body without them, and they can be stacked to give as much magnification as you want. Yes, longer tubes will give more magnification.

Note that there are now (I think) different, much more expensive tubes that allow AF on some of the Mamiya bodies. You don't want those. Not much point in AF when you use extension tubes, IMHO. Just get the plain old extension tubes and enjoy. And I don't think I ever got any of my AF mamiya lenses for my AFD to work on the old tubes; I vaguely recall contemplating a modification to the lenses but then forgot about it and just used the manual lenses.

So in summary: manual lenses + tubes = no problems.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I will experiment with using the different tubes. My main use for them will be to get a bit closer when shooting portraits.

Dale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay. Well, FWIW, most people actually want to get further away when doing portraits, to get more ear/nose ratio and more focus isolation.

I would recommend the 80/1.9 for individual portraiture.

Enjoy.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keith,

For tight headshots, the lenses I have do not focus close enough. I need to be able to get closer.

Dale

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's a little Xmas gift:

http://www.redisonellis.com/m645tubes.html

Just be sure to make note of the exposure compensation for each tube/lens combination if you're not using a metered finder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

Just be sure to make note of the exposure compensation for each tube/lens combination if you're not using a metered finder.
    Thank you, this information on the extension tubes is very useful. I also received a message from Ian C with a link to a pdf containing the same info. Precisely what I needed, thanks again.

Dale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Im assuming in those charts the exposure comp is listed in factor... not stops? ? ?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Im assuming in those charts the exposure comp is listed in factor... not stops? ? ?
    Factor. The Butkus site gives a full repro of the tubes' manual with F-stop conversion for the OP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Factor. The Butkus site gives a full repro of the tubes' manual with F-stop conversion for the OP.
    Yes, factor.
    Only way it makes sense.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin