Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,030   Online: 775

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also, highly recommend a metered prism. Not sure what they cost for the newer 645's but my 1000s meter prism was cheap!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 645 Pro which I assembled from various pieces--Keh, Ebay, etc. I had already had an M645 that I purchased way back when. The 80mm 2.8 is an excellent lens & I've had enlargements made up to 30"x40". Get a metered prism--they are far cheaper than the WLF for this camera, in fact I don't ever recall seeing one. I recently picked up a working metered prism in bargain condition from KEH for $49. Works perfectly. Suggest you add the 45mm 2.8 wide angle to your kit. Kind of heavy but great quality. I've used the crank and the winder--although it makes the kit heavier, the winder is just plain faster to use especially with the prism. Although I have the winder for the older M645, I rarely use it. If you must have the WLF, you might actually find it cheaper to find the older M645 or 1000s body with the WLF. It also handles nicely with the crank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Pro TL set up with the AE finder and WG401 grip, works like a champ. I tried the WG402 but found the grip too small for my medium-sized hands. I also have an RRS QR plate for tripod work. The AE finder has three settings; Average, Spot, and A/S where the camera picks the metering pattern based on the light. It works very well.

I also have a Pro with WLF and crank. This is very fun to work with, but I either have to find a grid screen or a bubble level because my horizons are always tilted a few degrees, most noticeable when I'm shooting boats on the water. I have a strap on this one, I took the clips from a couple of Mamiya hand straps and put them on a Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap. A 55mm lens lives on this body.

For lenses I have the 35, 45, 55, 80 f/2.8, 150 f/3.5 and 210. If weight and cost are considerations, skip the 80mm f/1.9; the 2.8 is a fabulous lens.

I have several backs and way more inserts than I will ever use. If I am expecting to work fast, I preload several backs so as not to have to piddle with inserts while I'm moving around. If I'm set up on a tripod then I just use two backs and several inserts.

A further note about the strap clips... There is an Op/Tech strap that claims to be compatible with the posts on the 645 Pro TL. It isn't. I tried. You'd have to get a round file and open one of the holes.

All in all, a great system. And cheap!
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I scored a 80/1.9 C for a very good price. The seller even threw in a Calumet (Schneider) polarizer to cover the front element since they didn't have the front cap. I will be considering several other lenses once I have some experience with the body and have time to hone my development. The more and more I hear you guys talk about the options, I will probably end up with both a WG401 and handcrank, and an AE prism and WLF. I agree on the system being very affordable. This is certainly cheaper than setting up a comparable digital system with largeish (35mm sensors or larger).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Congrats! One step closer! Now you have a 1.9, consider a medium yellow (K2) filter and/or a ND filter. Shooting wide open outside sometimes needs something to cut it down to be more manageable.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just nabbed LGebhart's ProTL. KEH couldn't beat him! All I need now is a front lens cap, Type E focusing screen, and K2 yellow filter and I'll be ready to load up some B&W. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Andy, Do you have any recommendations on good brands for yellow filters? I've been very happy with Hoya UV and ND filters in the past but don't know anything about their colored filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The more 120 backs the better.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by huddy View Post
    Andy, Do you have any recommendations on good brands for yellow filters? I've been very happy with Hoya UV and ND filters in the past but don't know anything about their colored filters.
    Hey congrats again! Filter, I am happy with my Hoya K2.
    Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin