Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,379   Online: 1061

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleiflex magnetized light meter needles?

Hi, I've searched the archives, but didn't come up with anything. I can't be the first to have seen this.
    On my new to me Rolleiflex, the needles of the light meter seem to be chasing one another, when I adjust the exposure, as the exposure indicator needle approaches the light reading needle, the reading needle will jump away, as if it is magnetized. I don't recall this happening before, is there an easy fix for this, or am I misunderstanding what is happening here? Camera is a 3.5F series if that makes any difference. Thanks! Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would guess it's static, rather than magnetism. If that's the case, then perhaps some higher humidity weather might help- head for the Mediterranean. On the other hand, if it is indeed magnetism, then locally heating it up a lot with a hair blower might do the trick, but that runs the risk of overheating some other parts!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Mediterranean sounds fine - right now I'm in rainy Vancouver, B.C., but static is still very possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I would guess it's static, rather than magnetism. If that's the case, then perhaps some higher humidity weather might help- head for the Mediterranean. On the other hand, if it is indeed magnetism, then locally heating it up a lot with a hair blower might do the trick, but that runs the risk of overheating some other parts!
    I doubt it is magnetism, the needle is aluminium. Static electricity, or some sort of interference .
    Even if it was steel, the hairdryer trick would be useless - unless your hairdryer goes up to about 1200F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problems seems to have cleared up. Thanks to everyone!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The needle of my 3,5F shows sometimes a similar effect.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin