Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,029   Online: 983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Picked up a lens cheap and now I'm wondering....

OK, long story short, I was browsing KEH's site the other day and found an RB67 180mm K/L lens in LN- condition for $109, so I figured this was a bargain and grabbed it. I've been meaning to grab a 180 for a while so that suited me just fine.

Now it's got me wondering... I see I can get a new one from Adorama for like $1600 or so, and I am led to believe KEH's LN- is pretty much brand new, maybe someone opened the box and looked inside or something. I also heard KEH has a boatload of NEW Mamiya gear they are flogging off cheap, but I am at a loss to explain such a huge difference in the two prices.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Cheers

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know why but my experience with KEH has been stellar so I would not worry.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wasn't worried really, more curious...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Possible that MAC offered them a clearance deal on a limited range of overstock items--a few RB/RZ lenses in limited focal lengths, extension tubes, etc.--or another dealer did the same. I got some NOS KL lenses a few years back from a distributor who was ditching Mamiya. Adorama may list a price but not actually have stock--RB/RZ lenses don't exactly fly off the shelves. The KEH merch is a true deal and won't last long at those prices.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My very limited experience with KEH has also been very good. Several years ago I purchased a Hasselblad 350mm lens which was in excellent condition yet approximately 30 years old from a different reputable dealer. It was exactly as represented and the dealer had a return policy. It was $750 (compare to a new one). I immediately tested it by shooting at equal settings in a constant light source and found the negatives to be the same indicating the shutter functioned flawlessly. Chris's lens may be a similar situation. I would only buy used equipment that I can test first or from a reputable dealer with a return policy.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KEH were recently selling new 180mm K/L lenses for $159.00 - I think they were clearing them out for the distributor.

The $109.00 price for LN- makes sense in that context.

I really like my new lens - the first new lens I've bought in decades.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might have to buy some more LN- lenses off them at this rate, don't want to miss out!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At this price I am tempted to upgrade my current (original version) 180mm lens. Is there really that much of a difference between the original 180mm and the K/L version of the lens?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i would say the older mamiya stuff has better build quality, but the optics yield more or less the same result

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an 180. I can't rember how much I paid for it, but it works great.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin