Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,826   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RZ67 Pro II Advice & tips please.

Hi, this is my first post, I've just ordered a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II and was hoping that i could get some advice and tips on how to get the best quality images out of the camera ? I also own a Fuji GW690III which i love (my first MF camera) but recently I'd decided to buy a camera that you can build a system with and plumped for the RZ67.
    Any feedback/advice would be much appreciated.

John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG! You mght look into several backs.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here are my quick 2 € cents:
    • This camera screams for a tripod. Yes, you can use it hand held and some folks seem to enjoy it that way, but given that you already have the GW690 I suggest you go fetch a sturdy tripod when you use your RZ67. Also fetch a cable release.
    • When you buy used lenses or accessories, make sure you get parts which work with your camera. I've seen lots of RB67 lenses/accessories incorrectly labeled as RZ67 parts. Some RB67 parts work with the RZ67 but some do not.
    • I agree with Jeffs call for getting multiple film backs. I have 4 now and sometimes wish for more
    • Read the camera manual carefully before you go out shooting. The camera can do lots of tricks but it's sometimes not obvious how to make it do a particular trick (check battery, mirror lock up, long time exposures, ...)
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The RZ II is a great camera. I've always been very happy with mine. Look out for the 110/28 lens. It's excellent.

It's a heavy camera and IMHO is best suited to tripod and mirror lockup use.

My biggest complaint with this camera is that I've always had frame overlapping problems with various film backs. Some are better than others but this was an issue that I was never able to have resolved, at least not by the local techs.

JJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congrats!

Nothing more to add there, i also have this camera and GSW690III, both giving me amazing results over my Hasselblad 501CM. I love my RZ regardless of the weight, once i went out to shoot 5 different films at using only RZ on tripod and one lens only, came back with awesome results except one roll, just my tips will be to understand the functions of your camera and to load correct and carefully, unloading also carefully, expose film properly, keep the camera clean, and you will be doing fine for long time, the only issue i hate about RZ rather than weight is about using batteries, i can't tell when the battery will suddenly die/run out of power, making me to wish getting RB instead.

Shooter
    Medium Format

It's arrived, WOW.

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated as i'm new to MF and need all the help and advice I can get !
    Well it arrived and it's beautiful, Wow ! The camera & 110mm f2.8 lens are in absolutely mint condition, you'd be hard pressed to tell if it was brand new or not ! The build quality & just the sheer feel of it in the hands is special !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The RZ is a great camera. I put an AE prism on mine and really like it - adds to the weight though! I use a 90mm as standard on mine, but have used to 110, what a great lens. I think the 180 is something too. Good luck!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Out of interest which Mamiya RZ67 lenses would you say are "the must haves" ? I'll be looking to add a couple of lenses at least in the coming year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 50mm and 180mm, i think i should get either 110 or 90, many recommend me to go with 110, but i am very very happy with that 50 and 180, you can't go wrong with 150mm either, but i feel that 180 for me is better than 150 but i can't tell until i can use one, i may prefer 150mm for Hasselblad 6x6 format which i have and happy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Out of interest which Mamiya RZ67 lenses would you say are "the must haves" ? I'll be looking to add a couple of lenses at least in the coming year.
    The 140mm f/4.5 M/L-A macro lens is superb. The 65mm L-A is also very good optically. I sometimes wished for a bit wider than the 65, but all in all it's a very nice focal length.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin